Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2008, 06:55 PM   #1

Share |

Someone help identify this tool and fitting?

I saw this tool (i think made by Rigid) that clamped copper pipe together. It looked almost like a large cordless drill and you had to buy special fittings for it that the machine "clamped" to join the copper pipes. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? How do these types of fittings compare to sweating? Thanks.

jimithing78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:14 PM   #2

http://www.viega-na.com/pl.php?p=propress

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:25 PM   #3

They're absolutely (slowly) replacing sweat and other joints in commercial construction. The speed is unbeatable.

Prices...That's another story. Very significant initial tool investment, and you know the fittings aren't cheap. The savings is in labor. I doubt you'll see that system catch on in residential construction, although there's no reason it couldn't be used.

Did you happen to see this tool on the "LA Hardhats" series? They used the Ridgid model on that show. The "American Choppers" guys just did a bike for Viega, who pioneered the technology as I understand it.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:56 PM   #4

Actually, it was a friend of a friend who had the tool and yeah, that link is exactly it. So if they're replacing sweating in commercial construction does that mean they're tested and long lasting? I was reading about those Sharkbites and how nobody wants to use them behind closed walls. What about this stuff? It's reliable?
jimithing78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:11 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

last couple of jobs I have been on, the plumbers have been using these type fittings. Just today one of the plumbers spent all morning looking for a leak and then was saying how much of a pain it is to fix.

Personally, I still like solder fittings but I'm an electrician so what do i know.

I have my concerns with the o-rings in these things. With some of the chems that have been showing up in our water supply as well as times where the plumbing is empty for some reason, I just wonder how the o-rings will hold up over long term use.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:20 PM   #6

There's no such thing as a foolproof plumbing connection that won't leak. They all occasionally leak. Sweat copper, compression, flare, PEX, PVC, CPVC, sharkbites, etc... All will leak.

With copper pipe, there aren't any other good/approved options besides sweating for concealed plumbing...That's why this system is revolutionary. It has become widely used and from my understanding in the field it is incredibly reliable.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:24 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

and how many of the plastic pipes were seen as "revolutionary" until a few years had passed and the leaks showed up? How many of those companies have not been sued?

I will withhold judgment but I am suspicious of the longevity.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote