Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
OregonThe Shower me state

Share |

Some gremlin dumped a load of sediment

Greetings all,
Well since moving into this home in June we've had sediment issues with our city water. At first I thought it might be accumulation in my hot water heater but as of last night we're on our 2nd kitchen faucet where we use primarily cold water. Water's flowing fine from the shutoffs but somewhere in the crevices of the wand type kitchen faucets the dark and white sediments (up to 2 mm) seems to cause a stoppage. Our bathroom faucets have caught this sediment in their screens as has our shower but they're easily cleaned up.
We have an accessory filtered water spigot at the kitchen sink that flowed very slowly, changing out the filter last night for the 1st time since move in revealed dramiatically increased flow. I imagine if I hacksaw open the filter it'll be packed full of this dark and the white colored sediment.
Is there such a thing as whole home water filtration for sediment collection? If so how practical would such a system be? Other options?
Thanks and a lift of the lynch lid for your responses

Turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

It depends on the size of the sediment, but yes, there are many whole house filter housings, i think they are around 100 dollars. Look for one with a steel mounting bracket to make filter changes easier.

Depending on what kind of sediment you're getting, you may want to add a second filter with a smaller filter than the first one.

These are the ones we stock :

http://www.azpartsmaster.com/Product...FeeDQgodXQ4A2A

Old 09-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #3

Thanks Alan, it (the sediment) seems from 2mm on down. It's particularly heavy when I'm doing plumbing repairs. For instance, when I drained my water heater a 2nd time initially there was great turbidity and only at the end did I find that white sediment (calcium buildup?) I was about to refill and drain again but my wife got on me about wasting water. Immediately thereafter for about 1 min. water from all faucets was dark, also a slight increase in larger sediment, but it cleared up.
Last night I shut off the water at the main to perform a repair on a leaky outdoor sillcock, shortly after water pressure was restored our kitchen faucet dwindled to nothing. I checked the screen at the head of the wand and there was some sediment that I removed but the faucet no longer flows any water at all. The other faucets and shower are okay though. We're thinking a stanchion (old conventional style) faucet may be the ticket until we find out the best location for a whole house filter. Of course I have to meet with my wife about this first, our quarterly taxes are some med bills.

Last edited by Turbogus; 10-11-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #4

hi, you mentioned city water. have you called the water dept to see if it might be a supply problem? are your neighbors having a problem?

almost 30 years ago when i moved into a brand new house i was having a rust problem in faucets. chips of rust and sediment. added a whole house filter and was amazed at the amout of crap in the water. called town water dept. temp fix was increased hydrant flushing. it turned out the problem was how my house was taped into the street main. as explained to me it was a side tap and should have been a top tap. sediment froma a old main was accumulating in front of my house. the long term fix was replacing about 1000 ft of old 4" cast pipe a half a mile from my house. the volume of water used by my new development was carring the rusted interior to all of the low spots in the newer 8" pipe in the development. once the old pipe was replaced the problem was solved permanitly.

bernie
bernie963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #5

Do you have galvanized piping? It can cause sediment problems

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum
Old 09-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #6

When you shower do you run out of hot water quickly?
plumberinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #7

Thanks so much for your responses fellas, this forum is even more responsive than some of the automotive forums I belong to.

Thanks Bernie, as I work 7 days a week in the next town (20 mile round trip) I only have met two of my neighbors and at that only a "hey how do ya do" when we first moved in, otherwise as I'm really beat after finally getting home it may seem I'm a recluse. Nonetheless I may go doorknocking tomorrow as saturdays are a shorter work day.

Howdy Eplumber, I think I remember when I was in the crawlspace the plumbing was galvanized, if so I imagine there's no help for it as far as calcium scaling.

Hi Plumberinlaw,
The shower doesn't slow down, but I can see bits of sediment in some of the jets on occasion, I've been using the expedient of using a small paper clip to dig 'em out when I can. That shower is further away from the plumbing head and the water heater. What is nearest the main water pipe into the house is the clothes washer and kitchen sink. Upon moving in, the washer had "0" hot water and when I pulled the hose the screen had caught a blob of sediment enough to cut off flow~this began our adventure with plumbing issues on account of the sediment. The original kitchen faucet was a Moen with a pull out handle sprayer, when it got its stoppage I atempted to replace the cartridge, but no amount of force could pull it out of the faucet, despite using the included tool (it would spin the cartridge, but not extract). Ultimately using a lever I built out of scrap I managed to break the faucet itself as Moen C.S. told me to drill out the cartridge. The second incarnation was an American Standard with the handle sprayer, it lasted about 40 days before a complete stoppage. This go I went with a Moen conventional faucet, hoping that the simple screen will catch the crud and I can easily clean it out when the faucet slows down. Oddly enough, immediately after installing it, I had enough debris (sediment) to cause a dramatic slow down, that was easily cleaned up. For the time being we're leaving the screen out of the end of the faucet, for fresh water we're using a linked to the kitchen water shutoff a filtered drinking faucet that, from when we moved in was only a trickle, but since I replaced the filter is fully flowing now.

....more to come.....
Old 09-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #8

wow, that is a lot of sediment. If you have iron pipe(galvanized) that may be a large part of the problem.

good luck and keep us posted

bernie
bernie963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #9

I'm hip Bernie, I'm going to contact the city and see if this is a regional problem or isolated to just our house. Mind you, it's not as though this sediment is so free flowing, it ust seems that after repalcing a faucet or repairing a leak to an outdoor sillcock I seem to break some of this crud loose.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbogus View Post
I'm hip Bernie, I'm going to contact the city and see if this is a regional problem or isolated to just our house. Mind you, it's not as though this sediment is so free flowing, it ust seems that after repalcing a faucet or repairing a leak to an outdoor sillcock I seem to break some of this crud loose.
That is a sure indication of pipe corrosion within your home. That's why I asked if you have galv. piping. The cure is to replace all the pipe. a filter won't help bad pipe.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #11

If the white pieces look like plastic it probably your deteriorated dip tube in the water heater
plumberinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #12

I can crumble the white pieces between my fingers so I'm dubious if it's plastic, although in our old house we had that very thing happen.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #13

The city water guy came by yesterday and took the prepared samples of the sediment and the core of our fresh water filter for analysis. He mentioned that it is likely sediment from the water heater. This would follow as when I was repairing a leak at an outdoor sillcock, there was no sediment.
The water heater is a Bradford/White Serial No. NM5874255, can I determine the age of this w/h by the serial no.?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #14
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbogus View Post
The city water guy came by yesterday and took the prepared samples of the sediment and the core of our fresh water filter for analysis. He mentioned that it is likely sediment from the water heater. This would follow as when I was repairing a leak at an outdoor sillcock, there was no sediment.
The water heater is a Bradford/White Serial No. NM5874255, can I determine the age of this w/h by the serial no.?
Yes you can, and it's much easier if you call bradford white. Theirs is "coded" in the serial number, and I can't remember what it is off the top of my head.

I like the ones that have the serial number starting with MM/YY
Old 10-11-2012, 04:16 PM   #15

I've learned from Bradford White that from my serial no. it was mfd. in Dec of '96. Given it's age and lack of care (the P.O. was very advanced in years) I'm guessing that this h/w is at the end of it's service life. We're addressing a gas line right now that the P.O. partially covered when they roughly built a porch in the back yard, since the gas co is flipping out we may ultimately go with a gas W/H depending on what we learn in the meantime.