Solution For 1.25" Drain Pipe For Removable Shower? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2009, 09:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Solution for 1.25" drain pipe for removable shower?

Last year while drinking rather heavily at 3AM, I commited a serious eBay error.
I hit the "buy-it-now" on this shower.
Fast forward a year, I'm a tiny bit wiser, enough to wish I hadn't made this move. But already seriously commited beyond return.

So please don't chastise me more than necessary.

Anyways, the shower has a 1.25" drain pipe. And I'm having trouble finding something at Home Depot that I can use to tie into the existing 3" PVC drainage under the flooring. I considered using a 3" toilet flange and instead of knocking the cover off it, I'd instead cut out a 1.25" hole into it and snake this drain hose into it. But surely there must be a better solution??

Right now the flooring is bare OSB. And I have full access to the PVC drainage system in the flooring, from the underneath.

Shower:

Drain tubing:

Advertisement

Last edited by CZ DIY; 10-04-2009 at 09:04 PM.
CZ DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

Rewards Points: 250

Wow! All I can say to that is Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!!

Trace that "drain hose" back to where it originates. What do you have at that point? You really need a 2" drain on that thing. There's no way I'm going to advise you to "snake" that hose into anywhere. You need a solid connection from the shower to a trap that in turn makes a direct connection to the drainage system.

Anyway, like I said, trace that hose back and let us know what you have at that point. You may have to engineer something directly off the shower unit.

Advertisement

Last edited by JDC; 10-04-2009 at 09:26 PM.
JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Yeah, I'm not real happy with this part of the shower unit. It holds so much water that draining must take an hour to complete.

The base is about 2" wide. On the other side of the fiberglass is the shower drain hole grill.
CZ DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:20 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,236

I replaced a tub with a corner shower that had a drain exactly like yours. The discharge end of the hose is supposed to fit into a female trap adapter. I say "supposed to fit" because mine didn't - it was ever so slightly too big. Turns out the company had sent me a metric drain hose. Once I got the correct hose, it easily connected to the existing trap for the old tub.

I do agree with JDC that it'd be much better to toss that hose and install a proper PVC drain (at least 1-1/2"). But in my case I couldn't do that without serious deconstruction to gain access.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote