Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2008, 10:04 AM   #1

Share |

Is this a soldered valve?

From these pics, can you tell me if this valve is soldered to the supply line? IF so, what is the best way to remove this valve? Should I re-solder the new valve or use a compression fitting?

cooper4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:19 AM   #2

A photo from the top or side would have been preferable, but from what I can see, it's soldered on.

Just shut the water off to that cold water supply line, take the spindle out of the valve and use a small 1/8 inch ID hose to siphon the water out of that line, and sweat the old valve off.

If you're starting to renovate, you should buy a good soldering torch and $20 worth of fittings and learn to solder. It's well worth the effort.

Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
Licensed Master Plumber

Looks like a solder valve to me. If you feel comfortable soldering, my advice would be to cut both the hot and cold pipes in the wall, solder on couplings, extend the pipes a little further out and cap them. Then when you get the vanity or pedestal installed you can use new compression stops. I can't tell from the photo, but if you have room between the 90 and the 45 for a glue joint, you can do the same thing with the PVC to make the job easier.

Check out my goofy video for my new toilet repair book.
mstplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:22 AM   #4

I'll get a better picture of it when i go home for lunch. Assuming that it is soldered and I can sweat the old stop off, how far does the supply line need to extend from the drywall in order to install a compression stop?
Old 07-25-2008, 01:03 PM   #5

Here are some better pics. The first three pictures are of the sink shut off valves and the last two are the toilet shut off valve. The copper pipe should extend about 3" beyond the drywall which should give me plenty of room to cut off the old valves and use compression stops for the new, or should I buy new ones that solder on?

Old 07-25-2008, 02:12 PM   #6

Yep, that valve is definitely soldered on.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:45 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Marlin

I'd cut it below the elbow, use a coupling, and replace it from there. Or un-sweat the elbow if you can. That gets rid of the corroded piece of pipe. As was mentioned earlier if you have a vanity with a closed back just cap the line until the vanity is in place then cut off the cap and sweat on your valve. This will reduce the size of the hole you need to drill in your vanity.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:35 AM   #8
Git

Home Depot or Lowe's sell a short piece of copper tubing that comes to a point at one end and is designed for this application. The point makes it easier when it comes time to install your cabinet. You sweat the other end to your existing line using a union or other fitting. Once the cabinet is in, you cut off the pointed end and install your angle valve. You can get a valve that uses compression fittings so you won't have to solder the valve in, like the one you have now.

Git is offline   Reply With Quote