Solder A Cap? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2010, 01:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Solder a cap?

Hi, just wondering if someone could help me with a plumbing situation. I just bought a house and the laundry room was upstairs. We moved the washer and dryer downstairs yesterday and hooked everything back up as it was all ready to go. Everything there works great. I've no idea how to undo the plumbing that has been done for the upstairs. The problem I encounter is the white plastic water lines that come from the upstairs connect to the line that goes directly into the water heater. I imagine I could take off the white plastic water lines but how do I cap off where they meet the copper piping that goes directly into the water heater. Would I solder a cap onto it? Would I run into any issues?

Thanks, Kevin

Advertisement

dc_talk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,012

Solder a cap?

Is it possible to take a picture of the area in question?

Advertisement

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #3

Solder a cap?

Sure, I will take a picture and will try and post it today.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:31 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Solder a cap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_talk22 View Post
Hi, just wondering if someone could help me with a plumbing situation. I just bought a house and the laundry room was upstairs. We moved the washer and dryer downstairs yesterday and hooked everything back up as it was all ready to go. Everything there works great. I've no idea how to undo the plumbing that has been done for the upstairs. The problem I encounter is the white plastic water lines that come from the upstairs connect to the line that goes directly into the water heater. I imagine I could take off the white plastic water lines but how do I cap off where they meet the copper piping that goes directly into the water heater. Would I solder a cap onto it? Would I run into any issues?

Thanks, Kevin
Are there no shut-off valves installed behind the washing machine upstairs?

If so u could shut valves off and disconnect from there then DONE.... make sure you leave access to the valves (via trap door etc etc). You could even thread in caps w/ t-tape onto the shut-offs for extra security.
57_Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:39 PM   #5

Solder a cap?

Thanks for your help. My father in law came over and helped me take care of it. There was no shut off valve. We just cut the lines and put on metals caps. Thanks anyway.

Tags
copper pipe , solder