Soil Stack Help Please - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2011, 01:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

soil stack help please

with a COMPLETE tear down of a 5' x 10' attached bathroom on a 100 plus year old house I am left with a 4 inch cast soil stack sticking out of the ground just outside of where the wall was.

when I rebuild can I go back with all pvc?
do I make the toilet the lowest connection?
with a bathroom this small with only a toilet, sink and bath tub, can all be plumed into the soil stack with a stack vent on top to go above the roof for vent? and can the kitchen sink also be attached the same way without another vent since it is on the other side of the bathroom wall and would be at most 6 foot away from the main soil stack?

thanks for any help!

Advertisement

treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,616

soil stack help please

when I rebuild can I go back with all pvc? -yes

do I make the toilet the lowest connection? yes if your wet venting

with a bathroom this small with only a toilet, sink and bath tub, can all be plumed into the soil stack with a stack vent on top to go above the roof for vent? yes if you do not exceed the maximum trap arm lengths.

and can the kitchen sink also be attached the same way without another vent since it is on the other side of the bathroom wall and would be at most 6 foot away from the main soil stack? probably not. Depends on your local code

Advertisement

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

soil stack help please

thanks for the help! gona be awhile before I get to plum, looks like I need to do some foundation work first. what a mess I have gotten myself into.
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
Plumb or Die!

Rewards Points: 250

soil stack help please

Sounds like you've been reading up on stack venting. With that style all drains connect one on top of another with the toilet the lowest fixture, and a single vent through the roof. Doesn't sound like the way to go for you. If that vertical drain pipe can go horizontal under the floor your options are fairly unlimited. You can wet vent the bathroom group, and carry the horizontal pipe on to the kitchen. The bathroom will have one vent pipe from the sink, and the kitchen will have another. Tie them in together for a single roof penetration.
Helps to know where you live so we can know what codes apply to your area. Good luck!
plumber666 is offline   Reply With Quote