Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Soderless copper fittings

A friend of mine is doing the glass doors on a shower. So he is checking out the guys plumbing and he tells me that they used some sort of copper fittings that are solderless. I tell him sharkbite fittings. The way he is describing them he claims they are copper with a little ridge along the edge. Are there copper sharkbite fitting? The plumber is licensed, it is a very high end bathroom. I am thinking that the plumber is just not dripping solder all over the place and my friend thinks it looks funny.

paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 156

Most likely they were pre soldered fittings

http://www.presolderedfittings.com/

iamrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Pro Press compression fittings is my guess.
jlmran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jlmran For This Useful Post:
Alan (02-02-2013)
Old 02-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 520

or these solder-less and flame-less
http://www.google.com/search?q=propr...w=1600&bih=775
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

I showed him the links, it is one or the other. He thought they were pushed together and heated. The only reason we could think for using this type of fitting was for a time saving factor. These must have come around before the sharkbites. Personally I would not put these types of fittings in an enclosed space
paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,300

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdrying View Post
I showed him the links, it is one or the other. He thought they were pushed together and heated. The only reason we could think for using this type of fitting was for a time saving factor. These must have come around before the sharkbites. Personally I would not put these types of fittings in an enclosed space
Shark bites are fine in an enclosed space, when properly installed. They work just as well as soldered or crimped fittings. Personally I find that the Shark Bites are quicker to install, and pretty much dummy proof, that even a five year old could install them.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Shark bites are fine in an enclosed space, when properly installed. They work just as well as soldered or crimped fittings. Personally I find that the Shark Bites are quicker to install, and pretty much dummy proof, that even a five year old could install them.
That's funny, because I went behind a guy I work with on a job where he patched some copper with a piece of pex and 2 sharkbites (lame, I patch copper with copper. <_< ) and the pex stiffeners were both completely crushed inside of the sharkbites. I'm surprised the poor lady was getting any water at all through that mess.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #8
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

P.S. : I don't consider those pre-soldered fittings to be any sort of time saver what so ever. You still have to measure, cut, ream, clean, flux, support, and heat the joint. The solder is already in there, so you're merely taking a 2 handed operation and making it a 1 handed operation.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
P.S. : I don't consider those pre-soldered fittings to be any sort of time saver what so ever. You still have to measure, cut, ream, clean, flux, support, and heat the joint. The solder is already in there, so you're merely taking a 2 handed operation and making it a 1 handed operation.
Totally agree- but what homeowner wants to pay over $20 for a roll of solder
Old 02-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
That's funny, because I went behind a guy I work with on a job where he patched some copper with a piece of pex and 2 sharkbites (lame, I patch copper with copper. <_< ) and the pex stiffeners were both completely crushed inside of the sharkbites. I'm surprised the poor lady was getting any water at all through that mess.

That would be because the idiot did not use the insert that goes inside the PEX, before you place it inside the Shark Bite. Keep in mind, that real Shark bites have the insert already as a part of the piece, off brands have them in the bag, or you have to purchase them separate. Also the person buying them, needs to make sure that they state they are for PEX, not just CTS, CPVC, Copper

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote