So You Think You Have Sewer Problems - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By carpdad

Old 10-29-2016, 09:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,048

So You Think You Have Sewer Problems

A couple of years ago a friend called me because she had a backed up sewer.

My friend lives along a busy street and her house is on a sewer ejection pump. Her sewage ejection pump pumps the sewage up to the basement ceiling, which is finished, and out the front of the house under her front porch.

I go over and snake the line. When I can't clear it, I go out under the porch and put in a clean out. I snake the line from there. My snake is about 100 foot long. I can see a sewer man hole cover in the middle of the street. It is about 125 feet from the house. When I can't clear the blockage from there, we call a pro.
The pro comes over and runs his snake. Then puts on an extension and tries again. Then puts on a second extension. Still can't can't clear it. We check measurements, should be 25 foot down the main.

We call and have someone mark the line. Turns out the sewer man hole in the middle of the street is for a storm sewer. My friends sanitary sewer line goes out to the sidewalk, turns and goes down the sidewalk 225 feet to the county main.

I dig up the line every 100 feet, put in a clean out and snake the line. When I get to the main I hit a solid blockage. Can't get through it no matter what I do. The county main is about 6 to 8 feet deep. No way can I dig that deep.

We call someone else to dig up the invert. Turns out that the county had relined the main and blocked her invert.

After everything is resolved I go back and cut off my clean outs a couple of inches above ground. I pour concrete around them to prevent vegetation from covering them. The property along there is the back of her neighbors property and covered in under brush. The last clean out is in the side of a bit of a hill.

I cut the top edge off a couple of dry wall buckets and use that as a form and to pour the concrete. Where the hill is, I flatten a small area and poured my concrete level. I left the clean out sticking up a couple of inches.

The owner of the adjoining property where this sewer line runs, decided to cut the underbrush and put up a fence about 10 foot from the sidewalk. Now the state has to mow along there.

About a month ago my friend calls again. Someone stopped and told her her sewage was flowing out onto the sidewalk.

I go over. Somehow the mower manage to hit the clean out and the concrete around it, bursting every thing.

I repaired the clean out, leaving it sticking up about 8 to 10 inches. I got a 4x4 post, painted it with black and bright yellow diagonal stripes. I planted that post behind the clean out, leaving it sticking up about 4 foot. Even a blind man should see that.

My friend just called. Seems that someone hit a deer last night. The deer hit the post, knocking it over and somehow manage to break the clean out off. Now I ask you, what are the chances of that happening?

Any suggestions as how to protect this clean out. I guess I could put up flashing lights but then a terrorist would probably drop a pipe bomb down it.

I think my friend just has to move.

Advertisement

Last edited by hkstroud; 10-29-2016 at 09:08 AM.
hkstroud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:25 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,644

Re: So You Think You Have Sewer Problems

Quote:
Any suggestions as how to protect this clean out. I guess I could put up flashing lights but then a terrorist would probably drop a pipe bomb down it.
Ayuh,.... put it just below grade,....

Advertisement

Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:57 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 802

2 things the diys do.
1. Defy and rebel against nature and divinities.
2. Pray.
As a diy, why not study Curse Removal, sacrifice a chicken and put in another post?
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2016, 05:01 PM   #4
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 694

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,.... put it just below grade,....

This. If you want, put a box and lid over it so you know where it is.