So Much Glue (rant) - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2015, 12:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 684

So Much Glue (rant)

I wish I had taken a picture before tossing the thing.

I re-caulked my shower / tub this past weekend, and when I got to the tub spout I realized when I removed the caulk there was a gap around where teh spout met the wall. The gap was filled with glue. Not any kind of silicon caulk, but a thick, hard, yellow GLUE.

This was a twist-on style spout, so it was screwed onto a threaded end of pipe coming out of the wall... but I couldn't see that, because the thing wouldn't BUDGE with all of the glue. I spent almost an hour picking and chipping away at the glue before I was comfortable that the spout was twist-on (there was a hole at the bottom for a set-screw, so I thought it might be a slip-on type) and just kind of brute force unscrewed it (not easy, even after removing a bunch of the glue).

Removing the threaded piece of the pipe and putting on a slip-on spout took ten minutes (after cleanup of all the mistakes of the previous homeowner) and less than ten dollars. Why can't people do things right the first time?

Advertisement

TheBobmanNH is online now   Reply With Quote