Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
JPM
Bill Traver

Rewards Points: 81

Snake vs Rod

Looking for professional opinion on buying a light duty tool to clear out mostly minor blockages from toilet/drain lines in rental property that is before the main line (although maybe slight cleaning of that occassionally).

I do not need heavy duty drum machine ... for major blocks, I will rent one....but want something to try before I go that way.

Not sure if getting a sewer rod or maybe drill-attachment snake or hand-held snake ... wondering what people might recommend.

Many pipes will have a couple of bends. Am willing to take off toilet or take apart traps as necessary to ease access.

Thanks,

Bill

JPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 252

Snake vs Rod

1+1/2" line, 5/16" cable 2" line, 3/8" cable 3" line 1/2" cable 4" line 5/8" cable These are general guidelines depending upon the quality of the cable, whether or not it is inner-core, open wind or closed wind, drum machine or sectional, level of experience. A Spartan 100 machine with two drums would handle what you describe. Get 3/8"x50', and 1/2"x 75' drums.

plumberinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 586

Snake vs Rod

Different drains require different machines, as mentioned cables are extremely important, could cause personal injury. I see it at least once a week homeowner renting a machine getting on the roof, number #1 problem we see are stuck cables in the line. #2 can’t clear the line, and last week we had a guy who broke 2 fingers when the cable got stuck kinked back wrapped around his hand. And almost fell off the roof. now he had to replace cable on rental machine he rented and damaged, pay medical deductible lost 3 days of work and had to pay us to remove the cable and clear the line. oh and about 10 broken tile on the roof. the funny thing is he had called us earlier that day for an estimate, we charge a flat rate of $185.00 for a main or branch roof or clean out, free camera after cleaning and if the line has no problems a 6 month warranty on that linen, he thought it was to much so he went and rented a machine for 75.00 dollars.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net

Last edited by Javiles; 09-05-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Javiles For This Useful Post:
plumberinlaw (09-06-2012)
Old 09-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #4
JPM
Bill Traver

Rewards Points: 81

Snake vs Rod

I am in NJ ... your rate would be fabulous here, especially with the "extras" .... however, that is not the case and I have a few rental units that occassionally get backed up, so it makes sense for me to start the job (keeping in mind my limitations).

Based on comments, here is what I am going with:
1/2 inch cable. Manual operated 35(?) ft. This will get me to locate blockages in the large lines and potentially work them free if it is not too bad.

Drum Machine. Picked up a COBRA DRUM with kinded cable and variety of "drop" type attachments for $20 from a guy who just wanted to get rid of it. I will buy a new cable for it .. probably 5/16. Will use this on the sometimes twisty and multiple turns of the kitchen and bath lines.

For all major blocks, will rent a machine.

Forget the roof, you won't find me there! Also, will work slow and with safety with the drum ... I too have seen some people use the bigger drum machines, lose safety focus, and mangle their hands ... definately not pretty.

THANKS TO BOTH OF YOU FOR THE ADVICE ... I FEEL IN PRETTY GOOD SHAPE NOW!!!!

BTW: Never really heard of a "roof blockage before" ... how often does that happen and what are the signs of it occuring?
JPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 252

Snake vs Rod

In areas south of the Mason-Dixon line roofs are flater than in snow country. If they can;t find a cleanout they go thru a roof vent
plumberinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote