Smell From Sump Pump - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

smell from sump pump

I have been having a sewer gas smell on and off for about 4 months now mostly in the basement (but it somehow gets into the vents and smells upstairs) where the pump is. I did everything by trial and error.
I first cleaned and hydro-jetted my main sewer catch basin the smell disappeared for about a week and then resumed.
next i rod my upstairs and down stair kitchen sinks they both needed cleaning.
I then checked both stacks and i found the kitchen stack cracked in the attic i then replaced broken pipe (there were a couple dead birds and a birds nest in attic getting in from the broken stack).
I cleaned sump pump after that thoroughly.....Smell subsided for one day.
While all this was going on i also cleaned the coils in my furnace and changed the water pump and the plastic tubing that was going into the sump pump ( there was an accumulation of mildew)that is where the excess water goes from the furnaces humidifier. I figured all this would eliminate the smell.... but NOTHING!! Smell still lingering. All the traps are clean and with fresh water..I forgot to mention that i changed the check valve on the sump pump and the so called cheater vent.....
There is a sewer on the cities parkway that needs cleaning( full of murky H2O in front of my house) could that bring in the sewer gas back into my house through the sump pump?.....Even if i throw bleach or baking soda into the pit the smell subsides temporarily. Only if i run fresh water into the pit will the smell starts to dissipate or if furnace is not running, but again not for long.
Please help me!!
I am at my wits end!
P.S. The only thing i have not done is use a camera to check underground piping....but the plumber assured me that there are no cracks because i have not had any back up.

Advertisement

Last edited by GEORGIO; 05-06-2012 at 01:11 AM. Reason: add more info
GEORGIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,302

smell from sump pump

More details and a picture (of you can).

Sump pits seldom have a vent pipe---is this possibly a sewage pit?

If the sewage pit cover and pipe openings are not tightly sealed,you will get sewer gas sucked into the basement when ever the furnace or gas water heater kick on---(if there is not a make up air intake--

Seal the pit and pipe openings---look for other leaks on the vent pipes--repair those---

add a make up air inlet if the furnace requires one.---Details,Please.---Mike----

Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 12:36 AM   #3

smell from sump pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
More details and a picture (of you can).

Sump pits seldom have a vent pipe---is this possibly a sewage pit?

If the sewage pit cover and pipe openings are not tightly sealed,you will get sewer gas sucked into the basement when ever the furnace or gas water heater kick on---(if there is not a make up air intake--

Seal the pit and pipe openings---look for other leaks on the vent pipes--repair those---

add a make up air inlet if the furnace requires one.---Details,Please.---Mike----
Thanks Mike for your advise, i will keep you posted as to what i am doing.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:50 AM   #4
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,620

smell from sump pump

Can you explain your "cheater vent" set up?
Old 05-11-2012, 12:54 AM   #5

smell from sump pump

Mike thank you for your great advise, it is a sump pump it has a copper u tube that goes over the top,with a horizontal) check valve on it that goes in ground to the main sewer. it also has a vent that come up from the sump pump cover, they call it a cheater vent?? next to the sump pump there is another pit that has a check valve inside, i guess that keeps the city sewer from backing into the house??? someone told me to open that check valve and see if it is staying open. He says that my problem lye's there, because the gases are being emitted in from the outside sewer.....I have never attempted something like this before, so i think i will call a plumber. what do you think Mike?
Old 05-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,048

smell from sump pump

Do you have a trap (p-trap; u-trap) between the sump pump and the sewer.

(Many cities do not permit running sump pump outlets to the sewer.)

The purpose of a check valve in the sump pump outlet is to keep the water in the outlet pipe from falling back into the pit when the sump pump is done pumping; this fallback can occupy a significant portion of the pit volume and increase the frequency of pump starts. But sometimes the check valve is held ajar by sediment or debris, and the water followed by sewer gas comes back down.

Advertisement

Last edited by AllanJ; 05-11-2012 at 08:38 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote