Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
bsa_bob

Share |
Question

Small amount of rusty water.Please....help

I recently installed cleaned and and installed new salt. My salt brine barrel had bridged,Repaird,and cleaned it all out good it and had great;....... rust free water for two days.I am back where i started. Can anyone share with me what i should do next,I set the time on the white dials on top.......................I bumped the smaller set of dials in the lower corner, and they turned a little bit.These are the dials that say how many gallons of water to salt etc.
I am a retired plumber but never had a softener before ,Is there a filter or something that i can"t see that needs checking?/There is a paper clip that has one leg bent strait, it was used for something?? before, cause it is corroded from laying there[on top of cut=off]

Last edited by bsa_bob; 03-22-2011 at 12:52 PM.
bsa_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #2

Small amount of rusty water.Please....help

Bob, have you checked your water heater, in order to eliminate it as a culprit? Also, there may be cases where they are not required, but in my area, SE MI, virtually every softener has a prefilter, and I have seen those without have shotened lives. I have always felt too that it is worth while to have the water tested before purchasing a filter, because although general purpose ones are readily available, you may see something specific in a test that you would lead to a specific filter. As for you specific softener, someone may be able to answer in general terms, but I would suggest that you locate a manual for it, as perhaps your cycles are not as they should be, or futher maintenance is required.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote