Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2013, 07:53 AM   #1

Share |

Slow Toilet Tank Fill

One of our toilets' tanks takes forever to fill. And it seems to have a leak because it keeps on filling forever. Currently we have the water to it shut off and it is out of use. I want to fix it. I believe I need to change the entire system that's inside the tank. Can you tell I have never done any plumbing repair before? From the attached image can you tell me what do I need to replace? What tools I will need? Any other tips?

(I am on a DIY roll today. I have tasked myself to fix two other plumbing issues at our home. If you want to help, please click on my name and see my other two questions. Thanks. )

Thank you for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Slow Toilet Tank Fill-img_1658.jpg  

septerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #2
DIY staff

Slow Toilet Tank Fill

Have you taken that wire off of the float? It should be attached to the upper arm.

The replacement guts are about $10 --take about 15 minutes to change----you need a crescent wrench ans a pair of channel lock pliers----sometimes no tools are requires at all--if you have strong hands.

You may need a new flapper---they are about $4

Old 01-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #3

Slow Toilet Tank Fill

Tank needs to be empty to replace the valve. just use a shop vac or a sponge to soak it up.To check the flapper for leaks just fill up the bowl with water and add some food coloring to see if and color runs to the bowl.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #4

Slow Toilet Tank Fill

If this is the same toilet as the one with the leak to the floor, are you sure the water handle is turned open all the way? If it's slow to fill, then either the faucet isn't all the way on, or the fill valve (big thing on the left in your tank) is shot and needs to be replaced), or the toilet is leaking so fast into the bowl that the tank can't fill fast. (It could also be a kinked line, but I don't see those in the picture in your other thread.)
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #5

Slow Toilet Tank Fill

This is a different toilet :| (yea we have a plumbing crisis in the house!)
septerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet tank repair