Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 14
Share |
Default

Slow leak from shut off valve


I have noticed a slow leak coming from the shut off valve. It looks like there is a coming from the shut off valce right where is the screw is. I have attached a picture of what screw I'm talking about. Will this type of fix require a plumber or is this something a novice should be able to handle?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Slow leak from shut off valve-picture-007.jpg   Slow leak from shut off valve-picture-126.jpg   Slow leak from shut off valve-picture-127.jpg  


Last edited by Topdog; 06-02-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Topdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:39 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,782
Default

Slow leak from shut off valve


Shut off supply to the house, drain the system by turning on the faucets, and then remove and replace the valve.

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:43 PM   #3
Journeyman Plumber
 
Ron The Plumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 1,994
Default

Slow leak from shut off valve


You might just need to tighten up the packing nut on the backside of the handle. Try it should stop the leak.
__________________
Fix it right the first time, so you won't have to fix it a 2nd time.

2008 Oregon Specialty Plumbing Codes
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:36 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 155
Default

Slow leak from shut off valve


Go to the hardware store and buy a new one... less than $10. The copper ones are the most expensive around $10. It's probably a 1/2 copper pipe coming out with a threaded end. If it's not threaded, you'll have to solder one on. Cut off the main water supply to the house, turn on a faucet at the lowest point in the house (often an outside spigot) so the line will drain and you won't get wet taking the thing off. Unscrew the flexible line that goes to the toilet with a wrench. Then unscrew the valve. All you have to do now is put the new one on and remember to use plumbers tape on the screw threads. It's probably one of the easier projects in plumbing. I'd say novice level if you're worried.

Post a pic of the valve from the top side so I can see if it screws off or if it's soldered on.
jayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:41 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Termite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,520
Default

Slow leak from shut off valve


Agreed, I'd just replace it. Even if the current one is soldered on, you don't have to do that. You can buy a 1/2" compression valve in that same style/configuration. You just tighten it down and you're good to go!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:47 AM   #6
Journeyman Plumber
 
Ron The Plumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 1,994
Default

Slow leak from shut off valve


If you don't want to try my fix fist and your insisting on replacing it then get the same type of shutoff, made by brass craft, the guts are the same across the board, just replace the guts inside it, leave the body in place. No soldering needed, no compressing it on needed, no taking it off of the threaded pipe in connects to.
__________________
Fix it right the first time, so you won't have to fix it a 2nd time.

2008 Oregon Specialty Plumbing Codes
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:15 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 14
Default

Slow leak from shut off valve


Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp View Post
Go to the hardware store and buy a new one... less than $10. The copper ones are the most expensive around $10. It's probably a 1/2 copper pipe coming out with a threaded end. If it's not threaded, you'll have to solder one on. Cut off the main water supply to the house, turn on a faucet at the lowest point in the house (often an outside spigot) so the line will drain and you won't get wet taking the thing off. Unscrew the flexible line that goes to the toilet with a wrench. Then unscrew the valve. All you have to do now is put the new one on and remember to use plumbers tape on the screw threads. It's probably one of the easier projects in plumbing. I'd say novice level if you're worried.

Post a pic of the valve from the top side so I can see if it screws off or if it's soldered on.
Hope these extra pics show what you are looking for
Topdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:20 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: north east
Posts: 728
Default

Slow leak from shut off valve


my two cents, I'd snug up the supply line and snug up the packing nut on the shut-off first, then if it still leaks go ahead and change out the valve.
DUDE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:57 PM   #9
Doing it myself
 
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Crescent City, CA
Posts: 3,692
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan
Default

Slow leak from shut off valve


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron The Plumber View Post
If you don't want to try my fix fist and your insisting on replacing it then get the same type of shutoff, made by brass craft, the guts are the same across the board, just replace the guts inside it, leave the body in place. No soldering needed, no compressing it on needed, no taking it off of the threaded pipe in connects to.



This guy knows whats up!
__________________
Journeyman Plumber
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:37 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 155
Default

Slow leak from shut off valve


Just shut off the water and unscrew that sucker. Make sure you put plumbers tape on the pipe thread before you put the new one on.
jayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:12 PM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 14
Default

Slow leak from shut off valve


Hey thanks for everyones input, all it needed was a lil tightening. all is good now.
Topdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:16 PM   #12
Journeyman Plumber
 
Ron The Plumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 1,994
Default

Slow leak from shut off valve


Quote:
Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
Hey thanks for everyones input, all it needed was a lil tightening. all is good now.
__________________
Fix it right the first time, so you won't have to fix it a 2nd time.

2008 Oregon Specialty Plumbing Codes
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:02 AM   #13
Doing it myself
 
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Crescent City, CA
Posts: 3,692
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan
Default

Slow leak from shut off valve


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron The Plumber View Post
That right there is why he makes the big bucks... mmmmmhmmmm.

__________________
Journeyman Plumber
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toilet water Supply- Shut off valve kcreds Plumbing 5 04-07-2008 12:44 PM
Sloan flushometer valve won't shut off BradG Plumbing 3 01-24-2008 09:04 AM
Water Valve won't shut off armywife Plumbing 1 12-17-2007 05:16 AM
Bleeder Valve Leak jwfran Plumbing 1 05-08-2006 08:12 PM
Water heater drain valve leak Fletcher33584 Plumbing 3 02-28-2006 07:07 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.