Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

slow kitchen drain

we were having a dinner party the other night and using the kitchen sink quite a bit more than usual and it started to back up into the sink.

The next day, I send the snake down just past the ptrap about 18', and found a little resistance that i tried to break up. Now if i leave the water running, it takes about a minute before it backs up at the sink, but then about 5min later is fully drained....obviously, still a decent blockage....maybe i just pushed it down the line further.

FWIW, this drain is its own 3" CI branch line running across the entire basement to meet up with the rest of the house plumbing. The cleanout for this drain line is in the basement and easy to get to, but the cover is frozen on (2' pipe wrench and a little propane wouldnt turn it).

I dont mind drilling/cutting off the cleanout cover and resnaking it when i have a spare half-day, but is it just time to call in a pro at this point or something else I can try?

redline9k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,954

slow kitchen drain

Did you remove the trap and check it and remove the stub out and feet the snake into the wall, or just try to snake down the drain?

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,012

slow kitchen drain

I dont know what FWIW means. I know what FYI means but maybe thats a colloquialism?

You do not give us the age of your house, so we have to guess. No pictures so I will assume.

Seeing how the line in the basement is Cast Iron, it is a pretty good bet that the line that your sink is tied to is 1.5 or 2 inch Galvanized steel, and you have a regular T right in the wall behind the trap. It is also a pretty good bet that that T is clogged nearly solid with black scale and muck inside the pipe.

You can try filling the sink with boiling water and pulling the plug and see if that helps, but my money is on SawsAll time, and replacement with PVC DWV.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #4

slow kitchen drain

yeah, removed the trap and snaked from the stub.

House is 1973...CI main branch, ABS (black) 1-1/2 from cleanout in basement to the sink. From the sink stubout, there is an immediate 90 into the wall, then a T for the vent, then another 90 to get around some framing in the basement before it couples to the CI cleanout.

FWIW (for what its worth).

hot water didnt help much...im assuming im probably left to cut out the cleanout cover...
Old 03-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #5

slow kitchen drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline9k View Post
we were having a dinner party the other night and using the kitchen sink quite a bit more than usual and it started to back up into the sink.

The next day, I send the snake down just past the ptrap about 18', and found a little resistance that i tried to break up. Now if i leave the water running, it takes about a minute before it backs up at the sink, but then about 5min later is fully drained....obviously, still a decent blockage....maybe i just pushed it down the line further.

FWIW, this drain is its own 3" CI branch line running across the entire basement to meet up with the rest of the house plumbing. The cleanout for this drain line is in the basement and easy to get to, but the cover is frozen on (2' pipe wrench and a little propane wouldnt turn it).

I dont mind drilling/cutting off the cleanout cover and resnaking it when i have a spare half-day, but is it just time to call in a pro at this point or something else I can try?
I wouldn't try any further on the CO plug unless you're willing to replace that drop. Pull the trap off the sink and using a flashlight, try o snake again, making n sure that the snake goes south instead of north up the vent! Your plug is probably right there. Good luck.
64pvolvo1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,032

slow kitchen drain

Start saving old tuna and soup cans to collect grease drippings rather than pouring them down the drain.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
Roofmaster

slow kitchen drain

You usually end up just breaking out the cleanout cover by smacking it with a hammer. Drill a series of 1/4 inch or so holes accross it to help produce a fracture line. You can do this with a right angle grinder with a metal blade too. Wear safety glasses, a safety shield, gloves and ear protection.

Two questions: What is the slope on the main 3 inch line that runs across the wall?

Maybe your clog is where those 90's are to get around the framing. Should have been 1/8 bends.

Tar is right about the grease. Hopefully you haven't been dumping grease down the drain.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #8

slow kitchen drain

sent the entire snake back down last night and got busy on it for about 15 min, seemed to open up enough to not backup after leaving the water running for a few min.

i guess that'll do for now and keep me from having to work on the cleanout cover.

is there anything non-chemical i can send down the drain from time to time to keep it clean(er)?
Old 03-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #9
Roofmaster

slow kitchen drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline9k View Post
sent the entire snake back down last night and got busy on it for about 15 min, seemed to open up enough to not backup after leaving the water running for a few min.

i guess that'll do for now and keep me from having to work on the cleanout cover.

is there anything non-chemical i can send down the drain from time to time to keep it clean(er)?
Boiling Water. Add some TSP and see if that helps.