Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #1

Share |

Slow Hot Water Flow problem

Hey guys,

I"m new to this forum (and am glad I found it). My name is Nate and I live in the Los Angeles area.

Anyhow, the shower in my guest bathroom has some flow problems. It's a single handle to turn on the flow of water and control the temperature. It's got a 4-way valve behind it. The cold water flows just fine, but there is virtually no hot water. I've narrowed it down to that being the hotwater in-take on the valve and have identified. Thing is, taking that valve out is gonna be a HUGE pain in the butt. Is there a way I can take it apart (in place) and clean it that way or am I going to need to go ahead and remove it? The top and bottom pipes are copper but the ones on the side are PVC. I can do all that work, it's just gonna mean removing the paneling on the wall IOT access the pipes.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from you guys.

R/S

Nate

NateSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #2

Post a picture of the valve. when you remove the handle and cover plate you will have access to the valve body to disassemble it

plumberinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #3

I know that I'm fairly new to California, but I've never seen an inside valve piped with PVC.... The side pipes are the water supply and top to shower and bottom to tub.What brand valve is it? A picture would help a lot. If the supply's are PVC a bit of glue could have gotten into the valve. Post a pic and we'll try and go from there.
Johnboy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #4

Hey guys,

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. Here's the picture. Is it possible to take it apart in place, or am I gonna have to remove more of the shower around it in order to get at it?

Nate
Old 04-25-2011, 08:52 AM   #5

just curious, is this the only source having the problem with slow/low pressure?
Old 04-25-2011, 08:59 AM   #6

yes it is
Old 04-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #7

is all your pipes in your basement, Galvanize? Or copper.. Sometime's with Galvanize it can get lime build up and clog, And parts of the galvanized pipe can rot inside the pipe itself, Which can cause slow slow hot water or cold. Change your pipes from Galvanized to copper.. If you have galvanize
Kinazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
Veteran Rehabber

Smile

I used to have a similar problem in a rental where the hot water pressure in the tub/shower would gradually reduce until it was almost non-existent. Cold water pressure was good. I pulled the cartridge (the white plastic thingy in the middle of the valve) and found it lined with minerals. It looked like a thin white piece of paper. When the water gets hot, the calcium/lime is deposited inside the valve until it slowly clogs the valve. It's easy to clean with an old toothbrush, or just replace the valve. Don't know much about your water in CA, but if it is 'hard' then this might be the cause.

CMHbob

Visit my blog for latest project and reno tips!
CMHbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CMHbob For This Useful Post:
NateSmith (04-28-2011)
Old 04-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #9

Just a quick question before you disassemble everything: have you taken off the shower head and run the shower?

The reason I ask is that I have a similar issue, but the reason is that the shower head is designed to avoid scalding if someone flushes a toilet, etc. This seems to be a consistent "feature" with the newer shower heads I looked at. When you take the head off, the water shoots out as one would expect (hot and cold), but with the head in-place, the pressure decreases. I don't specifically know how the technology works, but I just wanted to mention this. It's an easy test, and would prevent the royal p.i.t.a. of taking apart of the valve and not having that change things.

TombstoneDW is offline   Reply With Quote