Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
40+yrs Paint Trades

Share |

Slow flush toilet

I've got an old toilet (probably 30+ years) that flushes slooow. It also clogs easily. A plunger will break it on thru but it's not good to have to plunge everytime. I sent the toilet auger down several times and thought it was fixed but the next flush with paper won't go down.

Is there anything else I can do? Is the toilet just too limed up or worn out?

hoz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
Picky Plumber

Slow flush toilet

Replace it! Once it gets where it's flushing slow, stopping up, etc. it's toast! Besides, the newer toilets use less water and if you get a good one, have a stronger flush. I suggest Kohler Cimmaron or Kohler Wellworth to all my customers when it's time for replacement.

Plumber26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #3

Slow flush toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoz49 View Post
I've got an old toilet (probably 30+ years) that flushes slooow. It also clogs easily. A plunger will break it on thru but it's not good to have to plunge everytime. I sent the toilet auger down several times and thought it was fixed but the next flush with paper won't go down.

Is there anything else I can do? Is the toilet just too limed up or worn out?
You probably have a ball point pen or pencil stuck in the built-in toilet trap. When you use a plunger or auger, they clear the toilet paper so flushing works fine on tests with water only. When toilet paper is used, it catches on the pen or pencil and slow flushing results. The more you do #2's, the slower the flushes become.

First clear the paper using your toilet auger or plunger until the flushes with water only work good. Then empty the bowl completely and use a sponge or rag to remove all of the water. Use a small mirror and see if you can see the pen/pencil. A small mirror with a hinge on it might be especially helpful. If you can't see the pen/pencil, you will have to remove the toilet and get it from the bottom side. Shaking the bowl might get the pen to where you can see it using the mirror.

I had to remove one toilet that had this problem and using a small mirror from the bottom side, just barely saw the tip of of a cheapo Bic ball point pen that our grandson must have thrown into the toilet. The pen was the flexible type. Shaking the toilet would not let the pen drop out from the top or bottom. I was "just" able to grab it with a right angled long nose pliers and pull the pen out while it bent in the trap.

Do let us know if this works for you,
HRG

Last edited by Homerepairguy; 11-11-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Homerepairguy For This Useful Post:
hoz49 (11-12-2010)
Old 11-12-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
40+yrs Paint Trades

Slow flush toilet

Bought a new toilet and pulled the old toilet this AM. It isn't as old as I thought, more like 6-8 yrs! Anyway found a quarter, a dime in the jet and a piece of broken glass swiveling at the outlet! Removed the stuff and reset the toilet. Flushed fine several times even with 4 "log rolls" of paper. Evidently the glass was holding the paper back but a plunger would force it thru.

My tenant has an "idiot" son who probably is the culprit. I didn't charge her this time but let her know next time it was going to get expensive.

Thanks for the help!
hoz49 is offline   Reply With Quote