Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2012, 01:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

Slow flush driving me crazy!

I bought a 1954 home two years ago and it has been nothing but trouble. The home has only one restroom and there sits an American Standard toilet that is 6 Lpf/ 1.6 Gpf. I do not know how old the toilet is but it doesn't appear that ancient.

The toilet water is at the max level in the tank. It also has a lot of slack for the floater. The toilet does flush slowly with a gurgle about 70% of the time but if I hold the handle down it gurgles and flushes down 100% of the time. The water just seems to spin in the toilet for awhile with no pushing power.

When I moved into the home two years ago, the drain in the kitchen was slow so I did a DIY job and rented a sewer snake and snaked the main line. It got rid of the draining issue.

I have read through the past threads and consulted several websites but still nothing.

Things I have tried:

1. I used a plunger several times.
2. I noticed some mineral build up in the holes where the water drains into the toilet. I took a coat hanger and tried to punch through the holes. I also put in white vinegar twice into the overflow and let it sit overnight.
3. I used a toilet auger twice.
4. I changed to a one ply toilet paper.
5. I took a bucket of water and poured it into the toilet and it went down well. From what I read, this is an indicator that the main line is not clogged?

Where to go from here? Should I snake the main line again? Get a new toilet because the flush is not powerful enough? Use muric acid to unclog the holes? I am confused.

I would appreciate any opinions.

Thank you all.

Last edited by jimleahman; 06-15-2012 at 03:32 PM.
jimleahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:21 AM   #2
sacramento plumber

Location: born and raised in San mateo ca. living in Sacramento Ca for 3 years now.
Rewards Points: 75

if you poured a bucket of water and it and it went down like a normal flush then it's time for replacement. I suggest the toto drake toilet cost more but it will flush about any thing

wctekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:39 AM   #3
sacramento plumber

Location: born and raised in San mateo ca. living in Sacramento Ca for 3 years now.
Rewards Points: 75

forgot something about your concerns on a mainline stoppage.If you have a ground level clean out/two way c/o remove the cap and look inside if it's not backed up you can .... u might need 2 people 1 at the c/o 1 flushing you'll see if your toilet or what ever testing and u should make sure u test long enough that a stoppage is not further down stream.if u flush and no water passes by c/o u have a problem up steam/stoppage
wctekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimleahman View Post
I bought a 1954 home two years ago and it has been nothing but trouble. The toilet water is at the max level in the tank. It also has a lot of slack for the floater. The toilet does flush slowly with a gurgle about 70% of the time but if I hold the handle down it gurgles and flushes down 100% of the time. The water just seems to spin in the toilet for awhile with no pushing power.

I would appreciate any opinions. Thank you all.
As long as a youngster at some time didn’t throw a toy soldier/toy in that toilet. ( bars of soap are very common) and the 3’ line is clean with proper slope then you have a venting problem.

Older homes venting was poor at best many only with a 1" or 1 1/2" pipe. Older homes were also “wet vented”

If all clear in pipes/venting the gurgle means toilet is starving for air to flush. What burns people is they think their toilet is bad, buy a knew one and the same thing happens..

How’s the Tub and sink drain,,, is there any noise in those or are they slow. Many times in poor venting you will hear a sink gurgle or a tub drain when you flush a toilet.

Also the location of the vent is vital meaning all toilets must be 2" vented within 3 feet of that toilet

So bottom line here make sure 3” line is clear with proper slope, Check for vent location and size of vent pipe out of roof. Vent pipes can also get clogged and need snaked out from tree debris etc. Winter time in vey cold areas vent pipes can freeze shut.

So if all that is good then pull toilet and check for an obstruction.

Im leaning on the venting is the culprit here
21boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:19 AM   #5

Quote:
I bought a 1954 home two years ago and it has been nothing but trouble. The toilet water is at the max level in the tank. It also has a lot of slack for the floater. The toilet does flush slowly with a gurgle about 70% of the time but if I hold the handle down it gurgles and flushes down 100% of the time. The water just seems to spin in the toilet for awhile with no pushing power.

I would appreciate any opinions. Thank you all.
As long as a youngster at some time didn’t throw a toy soldier/toy in that toilet. ( bars of soap are very common) and the 3’ line is clean with proper slope then you have a venting problem.

Older homes venting was poor at best many only with a 1" or 1 1/2" pipe. Older homes were also “wet vented”

If all clear in pipes/venting the gurgle means toilet is starving for air to flush. What burns people is they think their toilet is bad, buy a knew one and the same thing happens..

How’s the Tub and sink drain,,, is there any noise in those or are they slow. Many times in poor venting you will hear a sink gurgle or a tub drain when you flush a toilet.

Also the location of the vent is vital meaning all toilets must be 2" vented within 3 feet of that toilet

So bottom line here make sure 3” line is clear with proper slope, Check for vent location and size of vent pipe out of roof. Vent pipes can also get clogged and need snaked out from tree debris etc. Winter time in vey cold areas vent pipes can freeze shut.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

Venting, for sure. Check it. We have a vent that the birds must love because they keep trying to nest on it. We're tearing the place down so it's not like I'll fix it. But in the past I used to use a set of electrician's fish rods (6' segments that screw together) to clear the clutter. If you're not comfortable on the roof then hire a pro. Depending on the setup it might be possible to fish upward from a clean out, but I doubt it.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

I just wanted to add, that in 5 years i've never seen a 1" vent on any plumbing system.

Here's an addition to the "look in the cleanout" trick.

Have someone flush a large wad of toilet paper down, and see if you can see it going by. (or you flush and run outside to the cleanout) If it goes by on the first flush your lines are ok. If not, see how many flushes it takes to clear the line.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wctekkk View Post
forgot something about your concerns on a mainline stoppage.If you have a ground level clean out/two way c/o remove the cap and look inside if it's not backed up you can .... u might need 2 people 1 at the c/o 1 flushing you'll see if your toilet or what ever testing and u should make sure u test long enough that a stoppage is not further down stream.if u flush and no water passes by c/o u have a problem up steam/stoppage
thanks for the advice. this will require me to lift up the toilet unit? sorry, I am not well versed in plumbing.

I did read that the drake ii is an awesome toilet. do you have experience with the dual cyclone or the regular drake ii toilet? is the cyclone worth the extra money?

thanks.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21boat View Post

even after i drained the mainline two years ago, the bath does drain slow.

i am totally lost when you speak of venting i am sorry. is it still be an issue if the toilet was working ok a couple of months ago and it is just a recent occurrence with the slow flushing? i thought my three year old may have dumped too much toilet paper in there at once but it doesn't seem like the case.

i'll try to search the web for toilet venting.

thanks.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #10

Quote:

I read up on the venting system. so what i gather, the vent opening is on the roof of my house stemming into the house behind the wall of the toilet.

i did recently re-roof my house within the year. i replaced my rock roof with a traditional shingle roof. i guess the debris could have lodged into the vents on top?
Old 06-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I just wanted to add, that in 5 years i've never seen a 1" vent on any plumbing system.
Been looking at pipes for 37 years many of homes here were built in the 1700s we also have a lot of lead bend pipe and drum traps
Old 06-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #12

Quote:
I read up on the venting system. so what i gather, the vent opening is on the roof of my house stemming into the house behind the wall of the toilet.

i did recently re-roof my house within the year. i replaced my rock roof with a traditional shingle roof. i guess the debris could have lodged into the vents on top?
Woo how high off the roof is the vent pipe???? Should I ask high isn't it roof the roof line
Old 06-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #13
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

Quote:

Or someone made a mistake and blocked the vent entirely, or cut it off but intended to replace it later... and forgot. I wouldn't put it past some roofers I've encountered over the years.

When you drain something the down rushing water pulls a suction behind it (more or less). That means air has to get pulled in behind the water. If there's no vent then that air will pull against the water in the trap, causing it to gurgle or even get pulled completely dry. This is bad as the water down in the trap acts as a block against potentially EXPLOSIVE sewer methane gas coming back up into your house.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Woo how high off the roof is the vent pipe???? Should I ask high isn't it roof the roof line
oh, i thought the vent pipe was on the roof. there are several small pipes sticking out the roof. i thought those were the vent pipes no?
Old 06-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #15
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
potentially EXPLOSIVE sewer methane gas coming back up into your house.
Oh come on. How concentrated does it have to be really? Have you ever tried lighting a sewer pipe? It isn't going to work.

I've heard a few customers really worried about their houses exploding.

I'd say you're more likely to get sick than to have your house explode.