Slow-filling Toilet (with Photos) - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2009, 03:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Slow-filling toilet (with photos)

My toilet takes between 10 and 20 minutes to stop filling after it is flushed. Once it stops, it's fine. The tank actually fills up very quickly, but then it just keeps "filling" when the water is all the way at the water line. That is the confusing part--I can't tell why it runs for the extra 9 to 19 minutes and then reliably shuts off every time.

Here's a photo:

You can see the water still coming out of part A forcefully even though the tank is filled. The water valve leading to the toilet is open fully. I've wiggled part B and I can tell that it's already all the way at the top of its travel.

If it helps, this is the type of flap at the bottom. It seems to seat firmly:

Does anyone have any advice on this? It is the only toilet in my house, so I'm hesitant to work on it until I understand why it continues to run for so long after the tank is full, but it always stops eventually.

Thanks,
Greg

Advertisement

Cakesniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
Man of many hats

Rewards Points: 272

First, your water level is too high. It should stop about 1/4 - 1/2" below the top of that black filler tube. Adjust the float to shut it off sooner and you should be fine. If not, replacement parts are very inexpensive and very easy to swap out.

Advertisement

Old 01-10-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

MR Wrangler is right on the water level is to high, slide the metal clip down the rod about 1" to lower the water level, raise it to bring the level up. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:47 PM   #4

The float is all the way at the top of its travel already, so I don't think it's that. I'll check to see how the seal in my part B is.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 01-11-2009, 08:17 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

I live in a hard water area and have also found grit building up on the underside of the red flapper and the seat it sits on. Might as well check it all while you're in there. My run on stopped right away when I ran my finger around this area, flapper and seat. You will feel the grit if it's in there.
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:29 AM   #6

Cake, what the two earlier posts were telling you is that you need to reset the float, yes its at the top, goes to the top to shut-off the water, you adjust the metal arm and clip to set water height, yours is too high, also, in part b, there is a seal you can change under the cap if water keeps running, It appears as said twice above, water height is too high, it won't shut off because its going into the over flow pipe and is having trouble trying to reach the height of present adjustment.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:26 AM   #7

Hi,
You adjust the float by gently squeezing the two metal pieces right at the bottom of your first picture above and sliding the black float down into the water. This causes the arm it's attached to (part B) to lift up more forcefully, plugging the incoming water line.

I've run into this before when no matter how the float was adjusted, it would still overfill. I had to turn down the water pressure with the valve in the water line under the toilet. It takes a little longer to fill (2 or 3 minutes instead of 30 seconds), but it shuts off when it's supposed to. There was just too much pressure to allow the float to lift hard enough to plug the water line.
Good Luck,
Derreck

Last edited by Handy1; 01-11-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Handy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:45 AM   #8

Thanks, guys. I moved the clip farther down, but I got the same result. It's hard to tell from the photos, but the float was already all the way underwater. It seems to have no effect on stopping the water. Now the float is just farther down under the water.

I guess I'm going to have to get in there and play with the seal. Well, maybe I'll try the lower-the-pressure idea first.

The big mystery is why it ever shuts off, which it always does after 10-20 minutes, since the float mechanism is just ineffective here.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #9

Yeah, that's the problem I had too. Just flush the toilet, then let it fill to the point that it's overflowing down the tube, then slowly turn the valve on the pipe going to the bottom of the toilet. When the water stops flowing, stop turning the valve. Then flush again to test that it will shut off. If it overflows again, turn the valve down some more.

The toilet I was dealing with was a brand new one. The bathroom was just remodeled. Unfortunately it was also the cheapest toilet money could buy. The guy that did the remodel used bottom of the line materials throughout. My point is that the valve was brand new, the seal mentioned above wasn't the problem. Just a cheap vale and high water pressure.

Good Luck.
Handy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:48 AM   #10

under black cap marked "B" is a small seal, at best $2 part, turn the cap and it releases, take it with you to the parts store, I've seen at least two different sizes, although one is for an older model, or you could spend $10 and get a new fill valve. Usually when it still runs when float is up, its the seal, sometimes a bad seal won't allow the tank to fill up even when empty.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:02 PM   #11

Ok this is deja vue, while I'm waiting on my issue. This looks like the inside of my Kohler. My float was sticking and not rising up to trigger the shut off. I cleaned and lubed thr float shaft but veevntuallty rotated the mechanism and the float qiuit drargging. I had this on two of my toilets. Looks like a Fluidmaster kit? Same symptom. Check for float travel while you're in there.
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:13 PM   #12
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakesniffer View Post
Thanks, guys. I moved the clip farther down, but I got the same result. It's hard to tell from the photos, but the float was already all the way underwater. It seems to have no effect on stopping the water. Now the float is just farther down under the water.

I guess I'm going to have to get in there and play with the seal. Well, maybe I'll try the lower-the-pressure idea first.

The big mystery is why it ever shuts off, which it always does after 10-20 minutes, since the float mechanism is just ineffective here.
I would suggest just changing the whole float assembly for 10.00. To check the seal (flapper) remove the small tube that is clipped to the overflow tube. hold it in the tank and then shut off the water feeding the tank then lift the flapper to get rid of most of the water, then close the flapper and turn the eater on with the flapper closed , check and see if there is any water going into the bowl. if not the flapper is fine if there is water filling the bowl then the flapper and its seal should be replaced. Bob.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:31 PM   #13

Thanks, everyone. It was the seal in part B. Three-dollar fix! I appreciate all your help.

Greg

Advertisement