Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Slow draining tub

I had my house built in 2007. I noticed shortly after that I had a guest bathroom tub drain slow. I didn't think much of it. Just last week I notice that my HVAC secondary drain was pouring out water. I even had a leak showing on the ceiling from all the condensation from the HVAC. I found out that the cause of the leak was from the HVAC primary drain clogged. The drain was connected to the guest bathroom sink. I put drain cleaner in the guest sink and cleared out the slow draining sink which seemed to cure the HVAC primary drain clog. The tub is still, however, draining slow. I trie the drain chemicals with no success. I heard of a pump called the Mighty Pump. I was curious if this would benefit my situation? I don't know if it is a clog or just improper sized plumbing, since it has been slow to drain ever since built. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The house is a slab foundation and would prefer to not have to do any tear out to further investigate.

Slow draining tub-image-1971584325.jpg

Here is a pic of the pump.

mgeller2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Slow draining tub

I have not purchased the pump yet, so looking for suggestions before any money is spent.

mgeller2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
sacramento plumber

Location: born and raised in San mateo ca. living in Sacramento Ca for 3 years now.
Rewards Points: 75

Slow draining tub

most of the time it's hair either in the strainer if you take out the stopper or in the p trap try a coat hanger or some hemostats or hand auger thru overflow
wctekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

Slow draining tub

Slow tub could also be hair or other gunk clogged up on the drain stopper. Have you pulled it out to check? Likewise, pull out the stopper lever that's under the sink (above the trap) and clear it. That would probably not affect the AC drain, just how it that connected to this setup?

And do you hear any gurgling or bubbling from the sink or tub when you drain them or the toilet in the room? That could point to improper or blocked venting.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote