DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Slow draining sink

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  DUDE! 
#1 ·
Both sinks in my master bath drain slowing even when the water is turned on with the stoppers open. The roof vent is clear and all the drains and traps are clear. The double vanity backs up to a single sink in the hall bath which does not have a draining problem. One of the master bath sinks shares a 1 ½ inch drain and vent with the hall bath sink and the other master bath sink has its own 1 ½ inch drain and vent. See photos. Both the master bath drain systems are configured as shown in the under sink photo and the pipes are 1 ¼ and 1 ½ . If I take out one or both of the pop up drain stoppers from the master bath sinks they drain fine. If I replace the pop up stoppers with a basket strainer the problem reappears. I really do not want to use the sinks without either a pop up stopper or a strainer. Does anyone have a suggestion for me?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
How much gap under the pop ups?

If the sinks drain fine when the pop ups are out, but drain slow when the pop ups are in (but open), then I'm guessing there may not be enough space underneath the pop ups to let the water down into the drain. Just a thought. See if you can adjust the pop ups so that they sit higher when they are open.

#4 ·
not sure your pop-up connector is hooked up right, anyway,, had a sink that wouldn't drain good,, pipes were clean. so far so good,, put drain cleaner down the sink overflow outlet. At some point you'd think there had to of been a backup to lead to the sink cavity getting clogged up.. Now if your sink doesn't have an overflow outlet, not sure where you proceed. Also, make sure to check pipe leading down to the trap, that is where everything will gather on the pop up linkage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.