Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #1

Share |

slow draining bathroom sink

The bathroom sink in our upstairs master bathroom is chronically slow draining. It isn't the P trap, it is just buildup inside the PVC between the sink and the trap. It gets some really nasty stuff built up in there that I have to scrub out with a toothbrush or scrape out with a hanger or other metal object. Is there something I can pour down periodically that will break that up or prevent it? Should I pull the P trap off, plug the pipe coming down and then fill it up with drano or something semi caustic to break that stuff up?

What are my options?

Thanks!
Brandon

Last edited by brandonriffel; 06-15-2010 at 09:06 PM. Reason: forgot my name
brandonriffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:14 PM   #2

Generally the blockage is not enough on the pipe to slow much down. I would suggest you pull the stopper out and clean the stem of the stopper. It is one of the unfortunate side affects in the use of plastics.

hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:38 AM   #3

Usually there is a lot of buildup on the stem, this time however it was pretty clean. I took a flashlight and looked down the drain and it looked like a small alien had blown up in there. Green and black buildup, stringy stuff, chunks, gross.

Brandon in Kansas
brandonriffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonriffel View Post
Usually there is a lot of buildup on the stem, this time however it was pretty clean. I took a flashlight and looked down the drain and it looked like a small alien had blown up in there. Green and black buildup, stringy stuff, chunks, gross.

Brandon in Kansas
Close the drain and fill the sink about 1/2 with with water. Hot water might be better than cold. Place a plumbers friend over the drain, open it and plunge like mad. Be prepared to be grossed out. If your sink has an overflow you will need to cover that with something to prevent pressure from escaping. Let sink drain and repeat until alien parts stop coming up
Mike in Arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:45 PM   #5

Kitchen drains have grease, bathroom drains have hair. You need a drain cleaner that dissolves hair.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:45 PM   #6

You might try bleach.
hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #7
Owner

Drain cleaners are harsh toxic chemicals that can cause more damage than good. Hinder more than help. I would suggest some type of natural and eco-friendly bio-treatment for preventative maintenance. The little microbes kind of form little colonies inside the drain and help to break down and prevent grease buildup. Also, try to avoid anti-bacterial soaps. They will kill the "good" natural living bacteria in the drain the naturally helps break that stuff down in the first place. The drain however, needs to be cleaned well prior to treatment. Most plumbing companies sell some type of drain maintenance treatment or you can do a search online. There are thousands of products out there. Be careful what you're buying though. Some of them contain foreign materials, i.e. sawdust, etc. to carry the product rather than water.

LateralConcepts is online now   Reply With Quote