Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2014, 02:31 PM   #1

Share |

Slow drainage and gurgling, overflow in kitchen sink

The laundry area was moved from garage to an addition at back of house (like that when I got the house). With that move, the washer drain pipe appears to share the same drain connection with the kitchen sink.

We've noticed that the kitchen sink drains slow when much running water goes through it, but not clogged. When the washer is draining, it can cause gurgling noises at the kitchen sink end, with a little sewer gas forced out. At times I think some bit of water backflows to the kitchen sink before draining out normally when washer is draining, but I haven't been monitoring lately to confirm. The gurgling noise & sewer gas for sure.

I'm writing this post to get ideas whether this combination of plumbing behavior is a sign of bad plumbing, partial clog in the system, or bad plumbing venting for this kitchen sink area. Plumbing at bathrooms seems to be find, just this kitchen sink area.

I don't know how the plumbing looks within the walls and up the roof, haven't taken apart the ptrap to see if there's any partial clogs along the sink drain piping, but assume not or very minor. But will check shortly.

Here's a photo of the drain piping under sink. A plumber did mention the wall connection of the drain was not done to code when he came by to do some plumbing work. I do plan to fix that when remodel kitchen but not doing it yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Slow drainage and gurgling, overflow in kitchen sink-download.jpg  

daluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:06 PM   #2

Yes, your drain downstream of the trap appears to have a couple of 22s in order to make grade- thats not correct.

Does the tee branch pick up the washer? If so, that's incorrect as well.
But your problem may be any ones that you listed.
Is the sink vented?

Old 03-28-2014, 05:42 PM   #3

Is anything vented? When a washer discharges it is a pumped waste under pressure if your not vented properly it will cause what you describe.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:32 PM   #4

How do I check the venting w/o breaking parts of the wall? Is there something I can do between the vents on roof and the kitchen sink area?

I'd rather see what I can DIY first before calling in a plumber.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:01 PM   #5
Retired Army Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by daluu View Post
How do I check the venting w/o breaking parts of the wall? Is there something I can do between the vents on roof and the kitchen sink area?

I'd rather see what I can DIY first before calling in a plumber.
Probably all you have is the vent on the roof. However, you could check for an air amitance valve (aav) around your sink or washer area. Look for something like this: Then post a pic of it so the plumbers can see what you have. Thanks.

jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:47 AM   #6

No, don't got one of those air amitance valves under sink area. By laundry area, there's only a drain pipe opening to stick the washer drain hose into. I'd assume in the walls there is no such valve either.

Should I install one of these? At present if installing one under sink, it would seem putting it on the long horizontal pipe that is teed off the p trap is best location though I'll have to check how much height clearance I got for that. What's the mininum height clearance needed to install one of these?

The kitchen sink is dual sink and no garbage disposal underneath.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:59 AM   #7

Here's visuals of the kitchen drain pipes and what the drain connection look like at laundry area (when I first got the place, before I fixed it up). Laundry area is just in back of and to the left of the kitchen.

NOTE: the blue plastic valve is a water line connection from supply line for water filter & dispenser, supply lines behind the wall/board (old style wall mount kitchen faucet rather than the common sink counter mounted faucets).
Attached Thumbnails
Slow drainage and gurgling, overflow in kitchen sink-download-1-.jpg   Slow drainage and gurgling, overflow in kitchen sink-download-2-.jpg   Slow drainage and gurgling, overflow in kitchen sink-download-3-.jpg  

Last edited by daluu; 03-29-2014 at 01:02 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:59 PM   #8

Also, when the slow draining occurs, near the end, when water almost drained, it bubbles/gurgles with air coming out/up. And with that sometimes you get the sewer gas smell.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:16 AM   #9

I don't suppose an air admittance valve is allowed for this in California, or whether that can be an interim solution?

I don't really want to open up the walls and redo the plumbing in the area and add/rework vent on roof at this time if I can hold off.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:46 AM   #10
Owner

Kitchen lines are notoriously greasy and laundry lines are "linty" (not sure if that's a word). Grease and lint don't mix well. I think your best bet; without tearing into walls, would be to hydro-jet the line. Clean it up good to improve the flow.
(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #11

Thanks for the suggestion Brad. A few quick questions, how commonly offered is hydro-jet cleaning for residential drains? How much would it typically cost? And how effective & costly is it compared to regular drain cleaning (the motored snaking method I think)?

I ask this because I asked my typical goto plumbing company and they don't offer hydro-jet cleaning. I did see another company list offering it in Diamond Certified directory, though will have to follow up if they offer that for residential drains.