DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Slow Bathroom Sink

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  jagans 
#1 ·
House was built in the 1950s.
Our bathroom sink was leaking after replacing the vanity due to the drain in the sink not lining up with the existing plumbing.

Cut away the existing PVC and replaced it with new. Did it almost exactly the same with a different cleanout. About a week after replacing this, the sink drains very very slowly, but still drains. I've snaked the pipe once without feeling any obstructions.
In the picture below you can see, on the far right side, the threaded coupling. That goes into the cast iron (or galvanized) line and "T"s into the stack within a few inches.
All the PVC is new.. Other than an obstruction down the line that I wasn't able to get to, could there be another issue..
The toilet and shower in the bathroom work without issue. It's just the sink.

I to cut all of this out and redo it, but that's the only thing I can think of.

Thanks in advance!

The picture with the rag is the before. The picture with the purple primer showing is after...

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
Thanks for all the posts. they were all very helpful. Cut away the "new" drain line (since i glued it instead of a normal trap) and was able to run a drill snake down past the T and found a massive clog.
Reassembled everything with new DWV pipe instead of sch 40 and a trap with threads in case I need to get into it again.
Thanks again

brian

#2 ·
Could I ask why you did not use a standard trap and a trap adapter on the drain pipe?

That glued trap will make servicing the sink more work than it should be-----

Did you thoroughly rod the old steel drain line before you added your new pipe and trap?

Is there a vent on that line?

Have you tried the sink with the pop up stopper removed?

#3 ·
Your problem is invariably in the galvanized T to the right, or down from there. I would cut that out and use a fernco fitting to connect to the galvanized vent. Your PVC joints look poor to me. Pipe not primed, adapter not fully inserted. I suspect you had a small can of clear glue with a small dauber. You need to fully glue the bell, then glue the pipe, insert it into the bell fully, turn 1/4 turn, and hold. The heat of the glue reaction will try to force the connection apart. You also have a schedule 40 coupling there instead of DWV. Thats OK, but takes more room.

#4 · (Edited)
You need to replace the shut off valves if not done already also. They are probably all gummed up with corrosion, salts, and minerals. Easiest way to replace is cut the old, replace with 1/4 turn Shark bite ball valves, or if you have enough pipe sticking out, compression fittings will also work.

As for the slow draining, your dwv lines are all gummed up going down to the point where it exits the home, or clogged somewhere outside the house, causing the slow draining. You have some more work to do if able to get to the lines along the path to either replace if older steel piping. Old homes are always a charm. Then you just need to fix the drywall holes.

#5 ·
Everyone's advice is good but have you tried plunging it? If your sink has an overflow hole then grab a ziploc bag and wet washcloth to cover it. Depending on what you're dealing with it might just solve your issue. If it doesn't work then you've only spent a couple minutes of your time. Oh also, run the water before you start plunging, and leave it running while you plunge. If you manage to knock a clog loose the water accumulating in the sink will immediately rush down and possibly wash away your troubles.

#10 ·
Thanks Brian,

Its nice to hear back from someone who you (or another poster) has helped, it makes you feel like your advice was worth something. All too often we never hear from people again, even though you are pretty sure you gave them good advice. I guess some people have a hard time being thankful for anything.

JimA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.