Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Slip-on diverter with less than an inch of 1/2" copper nipple out of the wall

Hi, first post, so go easy on me.
So I'm midway through replacing my bathtub's diverter spout. I've taken off the old one (it leaked like crazy and was super rusty) (it got destroyed in the process too), to discover that I have 1/2" ID copper slip on connection. Problem is, there is only an inch of copper nipple comming out of the wall, and all the diverters i've found require a minimum of 1 1/2" of nipple. Do they still make diverters that I could use, or am I going to be forced to solder on a coupler and some extra pipe?

EDIT: To be clear: the copper pipe sticks out 1" from the wall. It's inner diameter is 1/2".

Last edited by jamesm113; 07-23-2009 at 03:38 PM.
jamesm113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

Can you see into the wall to see if that pipe is soldered or threaded? If it is threaded, you may be able to unscrew it out counter-clockwise and replace it with a longer piece of 1/2" copper with a soldered-before-installation male threaded fitting on the inside end. Use 2-3 flat wraps of teflon tape on the threads wrapped clockwise only as the threaded ends faces you before screwing it into the fitting in the wall.
Good Luck!
Mike

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
Remodeler

a 1/2" of pipe isn't really enough to solder onto, unfortunately. A 1/2" coupling is about an inch long, which means 1/2" inch goes onto each pipe, thus completely covering the 1/2" you have protruding from your wall...that doesn't give you any room to get the solder into the joint. You can maybe try a repair coupling, which looks like a normal copper coupling, except it doesn't have that little dimple stop in the middle. With a repair coupling, you can slide the coupling more to one side of the joint, so that only about 1/4" of the pipe from the wall is actually in the coupling, leaving you about 1/4" of bare pipe to work with for the soldering. But be careful because your torch is basically going to be on the wall since the pipe/joint is so close. Make sure to be careful and keep a flame extinguisher around.
adpanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:23 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses, guys. I got lucky and found a diverter that will work the short nipple at Osh.
jamesm113 is offline   Reply With Quote