Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2014, 05:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Sizing an odd CI to PVC coupling

I've just taken over a house that I had previously done some work on and the first project is a leaky main waste line in my crawlspace. I found it when the line clogged and flooded the crawl with sewage. I had the line snaked and scoped and it is intact and servicable however if it should back up again it will once again flood my crawlspace. So I need to replace the last remaining copper and properly tie into the cast iron that leaves the foundation. All of the new PVC I did a few years ago ends in 4" PVC which currently ties into the 3" copper.

I think I need to cut the cemented hub off of the cast iron because I don't think I'll be able to clean up the hub enough to use a donut without damaging it. Even if I did, I'd be uncomfortable with a donut and would rather have a sealed clamp type transition. But I'm not familiar with the size of the cast iron here and can't reference a transition coupling. It looks like extra heavy 6" to me. If that's the case I think I'd use a 3005-66 pro-flex and transition to 6" PVC. Make the turn in 6" and then bush it down to 4" and run the main into the bushing.

Sound good? I was hoping for some pro input on possible sizes of iron and fittings to use if they would use something different.

iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2

I doubt you have 6"- but you never know. At any rate, your type coupling is correct. Just need to confirm the size.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:50 PM   #3

That's 3" copper going into the hub. 6" XH CI hub dimension from Mueller is 7.19" Extrapolation has to make it close to a 6" pipe hub. In any case I'll probably do this Thursday and I guess I'll know for sure. Was this a common installation method? House was built in 1968 I believe.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:19 PM   #4

I haven't seen 6" CI to a house very often. I'd believe it's 4" clay before 6" CI- but you're the one looking at it
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
SHR Plumber (03-25-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 12:12 AM   #5
Owner

I can't make heads or tails from the first two pictures. Obviously it needs to be fixed, but that looks to me more like 1" copper going into a 4" hub. Maybe it's just your picture. I'm confused. I've never seen anything like that.
(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:38 AM   #6

So Eplumber was right, sort of anyway. Not CI but 6" clay. Hopefully get it fixed this weekend. What's better to cut clay with, a diamond blade in a grinder or a snap cutter?
I'd happily rent the snap cutter if I can get a clean cut and save from creating all that dust.

Other question was how to torque the clamps on clay. Do you use the same no-hub torque key at 60 in. lbs or just go until it feels tight?

Last edited by iminaquagmire; 03-28-2014 at 01:43 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:30 AM   #7

You can cut it either way. If you use snap cutters- be gentle.

I know it wasn't in your plans but- If at all possible, replace the clay through the foundation with plastic.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #8

Weak clay splinters... I did was start a cut then loosen move the wheels and then finish the snap.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
You can cut it either way. If you use snap cutters- be gentle.

I know it wasn't in your plans but- If at all possible, replace the clay through the foundation with plastic.
Replacing the clay is not possible right now. I was told that the drain is still in good shape by the plumber who rodded and scoped it for me. It does have roots getting into it, but the tree they are from is coming down soon.

I did the replacement today. Wasn't too bad and only took a couple hours. The snap cutter made a perfect cut on the clay. I added another cleanout too and hangers of which there were none before. Still have to add one more hanger closer to the tee wye that everything drains into. Thanks to everyone that commented.

Last edited by iminaquagmire; 03-29-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:21 PM   #10

Looks nice! Now beat it down to recycling center with that copper and buy yourself some dinner

The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
iminaquagmire (03-29-2014)