Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2011, 04:31 PM   #1

Share |

Sinking pipes into stramit board

Hi all,

I'm looking at re-doing the bathroom, but 2 of the walls are stremit board. Is it possible to cut and lay the water pipes into the stremit board?
tripled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
DIY staff

What is stramet board?
Old 10-15-2011, 06:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike
What is stramet board?
I think it's like a European particle board

Where do you live tripled?
Mark Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:38 PM   #4

From what I've found it seems to be straw compressed into drywall like form, with a thin layer of plaster or cement (instead of paper). Apparently it looks like Weetabix when the plaster or cement is peeled back.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPlumber
From what I've found it seems to be straw compressed into drywall like form, with a thin layer of plaster or cement (instead of paper). Apparently it looks like Weetabix when the plaster or cement is peeled back.
This contains asbestos?... Or no
Old 10-15-2011, 11:38 PM   #6

The info was from the UK, so if they were like us over here then they probably had their pre and post asbestos period.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:50 AM   #7

Sorry for the late reply.

Stremit board is a compressed straw board with like a card/paper outer layer. It's about 2.5" thick, doesn't contain asbestos.
As viplumber says it's like weetabix if you peel back the paper.

I'm in the UK.

Personally I would prefer to rip it out, and replace it with proper stud work, but the time and money it would take wouldn't make it worth while.
I do want to hang a floating sink on the wall that is stremit board. Given it's properties I would imagine it would just fall off, so was either gonna re-arrange to hang the sink on brick, or maybe look at the possibility of cutting out a section of stremit, and putting in stud work to old the sink which would help this situation, but my shower will be on the same wall, and I want to sink the pipes into the wall rather than leave them on show like they currently are.

Any hints and tips is much appreciated, i've been scratching my head for a while!
Old 10-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripled
Sorry for the late reply.

Stremit board is a compressed straw board with like a card/paper outer layer. It's about 2.5" thick, doesn't contain asbestos.
As viplumber says it's like weetabix if you peel back the paper.

I'm in the UK.

Personally I would prefer to rip it out, and replace it with proper stud work, but the time and money it would take wouldn't make it worth while.
I do want to hang a floating sink on the wall that is stremit board. Given it's properties I would imagine it would just fall off, so was either gonna re-arrange to hang the sink on brick, or maybe look at the possibility of cutting out a section of stremit, and putting in stud work to old the sink which would help this situation, but my shower will be on the same wall, and I want to sink the pipes into the wall rather than leave them on show like they currently are.

Any hints and tips is much appreciated, i've been scratching my head for a while!
I can't tell you if u can or can't remove the board what I can tell you is the sink probably comes with a plate to drill to wall only works if you hit the studs then the sink sits on the plate hanger.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:05 PM   #9

Tripled,

Don't the water pipes run under the floor? That's the way I've usually seen them run. Anyhoo, I believe I've seen the walls being scored/grooved so that the pipe can be run in the wall, then they're plastered over. Usually grooving is done with a circular saw or hammer & chisel for brick.

As for hanging the sink, attaching it to wooden framing sounds like it your best option.

Quote:
...so was either gonna re-arrange to hang the sink on brick...
If you attached to existing brick is that not the brick on the exterior of your home?
Old 10-17-2011, 04:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPlumber View Post
If you attached to existing brick is that not the brick on the exterior of your home?
Yes it would be, but I'm not sure I like the look of where the sink would be by doing that.

I was haivng another look, and I think I might be able to sink the shower pipes into the board, that shouldn't be an issue.

As for the floating sink, I think the best option would be to cut out and rebuild a section of the wall where the sink is going to sit, that way I can guarentee the sink plate would be attached to the stud work, the water pipes and hopefully the waste pipe can be hidden in the wall.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:37 PM   #11

Quote:
...the water pipes and hopefully the waste pipe can be hidden in the wall.
I've also seen the water & waste pipes boxed in, for example in a bulkhead. You might be able to sink the water supply into the wall, but I doubt you'll be able to manage the waste pipe if stremit is only 2.5" thick. Maybe you will and for your sake I hope so.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.