Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Sink + washer piping - help? pls?

Hi,
I am re-doing my basement. It had a rough-in for a small washroom. I'll use this space to install a utility sink + washer/dryer.
I am a little stumped as to how to connect the drain for the sink as well as the waste water output from the washer. The rough-in pipe for the sink is pretty obvious, but I can't see any other obvious vent. So I figure I need to install a cheater-vent. I have attached a diagram (see below... hopefully) and would very much appreciate feedback to know if this is OK or will I be breaking some mystic plumbing rule.
Tx!
Attached Thumbnails
Sink + washer piping - help? pls?-drawing1.jpg  

globus999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

Wow....yeah you'll be breaking a big plumbing rule there....as in that just wont work. Everytime the washing machine discharges its going to back up into your utility sink.

Since you're going to be installing a utility sink (I'm reading laundry tub) anyway, you could just discharge the washing machine directly into the tub. If you just have to have a standpipe for your washing machine then you're going to have to cut a tee into the stack, install a 2" trap and standpipe. The one vent can serve as a common vent for both the sink and the standpipe. Not the best set up but it should work. However, this is assuming that the stack is at least 2" or bigger.

If it were me I'd just install a laundry tub and discharge the washing machine into that.

Good luck

JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JDC For This Useful Post:
globus999 (09-07-2010)
Old 09-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDC View Post
Wow....yeah you'll be breaking a big plumbing rule there....as in that just wont work. Everytime the washing machine discharges its going to back up into your utility sink.

Since you're going to be installing a utility sink (I'm reading laundry tub) anyway, you could just discharge the washing machine directly into the tub. If you just have to have a standpipe for your washing machine then you're going to have to cut a tee into the stack, install a 2" trap and standpipe. The one vent can serve as a common vent for both the sink and the standpipe. Not the best set up but it should work. However, this is assuming that the stack is at least 2" or bigger.

If it were me I'd just install a laundry tub and discharge the washing machine into that.

Good luck
Tx!. I get you. Strangely enough, this is the way it was set-up by the builder and... gasp! it passed inspection! OMG!

You are right, I might as well scrap the standpipe and discharge into the sink. Oh.... well...

TX! again.
globus999 is offline   Reply With Quote