Sink Venting Question - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sink Venting Question

Bought a house recently and it's had some handyman plumbing done in the past. Kitchen was redone and sink vent not reattached for whatever reason. Vent pipe still extends from wall and would like to reattach but not sure of the best place/fittings to use.

Am thinking I can tap in along the horizontal drain that runs back from the sink but don't want to do anything stupid.

Would that work and what would the proper fittings be to cut into that horizontal line?

Thanks

(excuse my drawing skills or lack of!!)

Advertisement

jrmac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Sink Venting Question

Well, the drawing is a little confusing but I'll give it a shot. From the pic I gather that the vent you show is higher than the drain line connecting the sink and the dishwasher. FIRST thing to do is make sure that the vent is indeed open and connected either to the main vent at some point or goes through the roof on it's own. Darn strange to find an unused and open vent line under a sink. (Not so Handyman maybe?) If all is good there, its a simple matter of fitting a vent tee or a drain tee (with the air flowing in the direction of the water) up to the vent line and make the connection with an elbow. You didn't say what pipe material you have (PVC hopefully) but either way it shouldn't be too much trouble. If....If that vent is not in service THEN your fun really begins. Have at it and let us know.

Advertisement

Last edited by LeakyMike; 01-09-2010 at 06:55 PM. Reason: clarification
LeakyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Sink Venting Question

where does the sink trap drain to now? could you take a pic please
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sink Venting Question

And this vertical vent line cannot be an waste and drain to other fixtures in the house.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:44 AM   #5

Sink Venting Question

Sorry, I knew my drawings were awful!!

The p-trap extends back from the fixtures (corner sink) then 90 elbows down into the floor.

The existing vent is active and travels through exterior wall up to attic space, does not vent any other fixtures. and extends approx 6-8" beyond where the ptrap turns vertical.

Guess my question was whether I can put a T in the middle of the horizontal part of the drain line, or whether I should cut the vent back and have the T where the ptrap turns to the floor?

Here's a couple of pics that may help but it's pretty tight to get decent pics in there.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
Inspector/Instructor

Rewards Points: 250

Sink Venting Question

The old line is it open under the house? It looks like whoever did the plumbing was trying to use an old trick of oversizing the line instead of venting.
Since the old line is higher than the new 3" you possibly could take it into the 3" on a 45 degree or higher and reconnect but you would have to make sure the old line is not open below. The right way would be to open the wall and cap it right under where it turns vertical and repair your wall, Would not have to be a perfect wall repair under the cabinet.
codeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #7

Sink Venting Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeone View Post
The old line is it open under the house? It looks like whoever did the plumbing was trying to use an old trick of oversizing the line instead of venting.
Since the old line is higher than the new 3" you possibly could take it into the 3" on a 45 degree or higher and reconnect but you would have to make sure the old line is not open below. The right way would be to open the wall and cap it right under where it turns vertical and repair your wall, Would not have to be a perfect wall repair under the cabinet.
Pics may be deceiving ... all drain/vent line is 1 1/2" PVC.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #8
Inspector/Instructor

Sink Venting Question

Yep really deceving for these old eyes.Plus brain ram not working good. You could still do the repair I suggested just make sure you come off the horizontal pipe at 45 degrees or higher to your old line and make sure its capped off below preferably in the wall.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:15 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

Sink Venting Question

your saying the piece stubout is the same diameter as sink trap. is stubout capped, if not is there sewer gas smell? whats under kitchen floor?
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:19 AM   #10

Sink Venting Question

OK ... skip all the preceding!

Went under the floor and found that stubout is not actually vent but an old drain line that was never capped .... disconnected below the floor and just left in wall.

Guess the fixture was never vented. Cheater vent is the route then I suppose since I can't tie into any other vent stack.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #11
Inspector/Instructor

Sink Venting Question

Ps: You should still cap old pipe and seal around the pipe for rodents and drafts. Its required by the plumbing code, and just makes good sense.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 25

Sink Venting Question

If your trap isn't too far from the stack the drain will function OK likely even if it isn't up to modern code. Lots of old houses have the same situation without issues. Cut that old drain line off flush with the cabinet back or wall and shoot a can of expanding foam in and around the hole to help air seal that exterior wall. You'd be suprised how much heat escapes there.

Advertisement

LeakyMike is offline   Reply With Quote