Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing


Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2008, 03:05 PM   #1
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2
Share |

sink removal

doing a little demo today and need to take care of a small sink that has pluming coming from the wall. One stop valve won't shut (been around since 1963) so I have to shut off the water to the whole house. We are not going to replace the sink, we want just a wall there now. The wall itself is wood paneling and doesn't have any sheetrock or insulation to mess with.

I assume that I need to cap off the pipes that fed the sink that I want to take out. I have zero welding experience. Also, we don't have the cash to replace the entire wall and sheet rock it after I cap off the pipes.

So, how do I cap these pipes off and still keep a wall intact? Is there a way to do it with out welding?

I really appreciate any help that you can give me!!!

dumhomeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:39 PM   #2
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 350

sink removal

Are the pipes coming out of teh wall copper? or threaded? if the are just 1/2" copper then just get 2 1/2" sharkbite caps. they sell them at the big Orange stroe hehe.

plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:17 AM   #3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2

sink removal

thank you for your reply. I haven't been able to look into the wall yet to see what's going on inside. But, from what I can see, they are not copper. What if they are not threaded? Is there still a way to do it without welding?
dumhomeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:29 AM   #4
MinConst's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring Hill FL.
Posts: 436

sink removal

If the pipe is not threaded it is either copper or plastic. Plastic (PVC) will involve gluing a cap on. Copper will involve either soldering a cap on or using a compression fitting. If this pipe is going to end up inside the wall I wouldn't use a compression fitting. Best way to do copper is soldering. If you don't know how it might be time for a plumber.
Minichillo's Construction
I will never leave you hanging!
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,670

sink removal

Look closely at the back side of the valve. You should be able to tell if the valve is soldered, screwed or glued on. If it is screwed on, it is either a copper threaded adapter or galvanized steel. If it is steel, you will have a short nipple coming from an elbow and you can unscrew it and replace with a plug.
If you have never made a mistake, you haven't done much.
majakdragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did I ruin toilet/vent after installing sink??? nibeck Plumbing 4 09-06-2012 07:07 AM
Kitchen sink recommendations? pweller Plumbing 4 07-08-2008 08:43 AM
Help with construction of laundry sink VokinLoksar Plumbing 3 07-06-2008 06:42 PM
Sink Depth dilemna Yippee Plumbing 9 01-01-2008 12:25 PM
Single Sink To Double Sink 39centstamp Plumbing 4 06-24-2007 10:27 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.