DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   sink removal (

dumhomeowner 07-07-2008 03:05 PM

sink removal
doing a little demo today and need to take care of a small sink that has pluming coming from the wall. One stop valve won't shut (been around since 1963) so I have to shut off the water to the whole house. We are not going to replace the sink, we want just a wall there now. The wall itself is wood paneling and doesn't have any sheetrock or insulation to mess with.

I assume that I need to cap off the pipes that fed the sink that I want to take out. I have zero welding experience. Also, we don't have the cash to replace the entire wall and sheet rock it after I cap off the pipes.

So, how do I cap these pipes off and still keep a wall intact? Is there a way to do it with out welding?

I really appreciate any help that you can give me!!!

plumber Jim 07-07-2008 08:39 PM

Are the pipes coming out of teh wall copper? or threaded? if the are just 1/2" copper then just get 2 1/2" sharkbite caps. they sell them at the big Orange stroe hehe.

dumhomeowner 07-08-2008 01:17 AM

thank you for your reply. I haven't been able to look into the wall yet to see what's going on inside. But, from what I can see, they are not copper. What if they are not threaded? Is there still a way to do it without welding?

MinConst 07-08-2008 06:29 AM

If the pipe is not threaded it is either copper or plastic. Plastic (PVC) will involve gluing a cap on. Copper will involve either soldering a cap on or using a compression fitting. If this pipe is going to end up inside the wall I wouldn't use a compression fitting. Best way to do copper is soldering. If you don't know how it might be time for a plumber.

majakdragon 07-08-2008 11:38 AM

Look closely at the back side of the valve. You should be able to tell if the valve is soldered, screwed or glued on. If it is screwed on, it is either a copper threaded adapter or galvanized steel. If it is steel, you will have a short nipple coming from an elbow and you can unscrew it and replace with a plug.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1