DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Sink leak/hot water issue

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  chandler48 
#1 · (Edited)
In my condo, there is a sink in one of the bathrooms. The water has always been ice cold coming out of the faucet since I bought the place in October. I finally decided to peak my head underthere and see what was going on with the hot water.

First, I noticed that I have a leak. It looks like it's coming out from the cold side, just underneath the black piece circled in the picture. It seems like it doesn't start leaking until I've had the water running for 10+ seconds. Does a piece need to be replaced or something sealed?

Next, I turned off the cold water underneath the sink. Tested the sink - no water at all (why the previous owner would turn off the hot water is beyond me). Turned on just the hot water underneath the sink and got very hot water. Turned on the cold water underneath the sink, turned the faucet to the hot side and got barely warm water. Any idea how to get cold, warm, and hot water?

Thanks for any help that you can give (and keep in mind that I know next to nothing about plumbing).

edit: Forgot to mention, the faucet leaks too when it's in the "completely off" position. However, if I move it slightly towards the hot side and move it up slightly, the leak will stop.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
In my condo, there is a sink in one of the bathrooms. The water has always been ice cold coming out of the faucet since I bought the place in October. I finally decided to peak my head underthere and see what was going on with the hot water.

First, I noticed that I have a leak. It looks like it's coming out from the cold side, just underneath the black piece circled in the picture. It seems like it doesn't start leaking until I've had the water running for 10+ seconds. Does a piece need to be replaced or something sealed?

Next, I turned off the cold water underneath the sink. Tested the sink - no water at all (why the previous owner would turn off the hot water is beyond me). Turned on just the hot water underneath the sink and got very hot water. Turned on the cold water underneath the sink, turned the faucet to the hot side and got barely warm water. Any idea how to get cold, warm, and hot water?

Thanks for any help that you can give (and keep in mind that I know next to nothing about plumbing).

edit: Forgot to mention, emergency plumber in Northampton the faucet leaks too when it's in the "completely off" position. However, if I move it slightly towards the hot side and move it up slightly, the leak will stop.
After a few hours after I turn on my electric water heater my hot water line under the kitchen sink starts to drip. Does anyone know if this is due to excess pressure build up? Is the water getting too hot? Would someone with experience please help? Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.