Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2007, 03:53 AM   #1

Share |

Sink hole cut oval we have a round sink

Can anyone tell me if it's possible for our contractor to remedy this? I was told by other people(non-contractors) that new counter tops would be needed. The contractor says they can fix it? How do you suppose they will fix it? When the sink is set inside, the hole can be seen for both sides. The sink fits front to back.

I also have a question about craftsmenship when it comes to plumbing under the kitchen sink. A huge hole was cut into the bottom of our kitchen sink cabinet. The drain pipe fits in and there is at least a two inch oblong gap, not pleasing to the eye at all. Should I be worried about this opening?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by newcondo; 06-18-2007 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Missed part of the story
newcondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:48 AM   #2

What is the material of the countertop?

There's no way to fix that without putting a new surface on the countertop. So if it's laminate or tile, he could basically rebuild the current countertop. But otherwise either the sink or countertop needs to be replaced. DON'T simply allow him to caulk the gap.

The hole under the sink cabinet sounds a bit sloppy, but that can be remedied. It may have been necessary for the access to install the plumbing. Your contractor can make a plate to cover that hole, so your spare TP doesn't fall in the hole.

NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:05 PM   #3

Thank you - You've eased a little of the stress. The plate under the counter is exactly what I will ask for. I would be completly satisfied with that. The counter top is laminate. We told the contractor we would be happy if they upgraded the sinks for us for free! We would also be happy if they replaced the counter tops! Anyway - we are working on it and I will let everyone know what happens!
newcondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:23 PM   #4

The easiest solution is to install a sink that fits the cut out or if there is enough room you could opt for a larger sink which would require a larger cut out. Regardless, do not settle for lousy workmanship. The problem with a quick fix is that it can hold up long enough for the contractor's warranty to expire. Stick to your guns and insist that the problem be remedied correctly.
JohnBoy26 is offline   Reply With Quote