Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #1

Share |

Sink draining slowly

Hello:

In my kids upstairs bathroom, it has two sinks on a vanity. the sink on the left all of a sudden in the last week starting draining "slow". Also, if I run water in the sink on the right, I hear "girgling" in the sink on the left? What does that sound like. Would a clog be in the ptrap or further back. I have not attempted to clean out the sink drain yet. I just really discovered it last night. Also, I discovered that under the sink on the left, when water is backing up, there is a slow leak because the "slipnut"(I think it is called) that is screwed on(made out of pvc) is "cracked".

Is this something that I can fix myself(i am pretty handy) or will I need to call a plumber. I have a snake, but it is just a manual snake you work by hand. Thanks for any help!

kjeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:03 PM   #2

Sink draining slowly

yea you can do it. go to hardware store buy a couple of 11/4 nuts and washers. remove p traps and trap arms but that's not where your problem is. If you can now cable the two lines 6-10 feet then you should of gone into the main stack, all is good now. Assembly is reverse of disassembly.

plumberinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:23 AM   #3

Sink draining slowly

thanks for the feedback. I will do what you describe
kjeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:01 PM   #4

Sink draining slowly

You have been given great advice. I can tell you we have two sinks in our master and my wifes side clogs about every 18 months or so. She has long hair and it gets caught on the lever in the drain. That takes about 5 mins to clean out, but the cracked trap nut is another thing. (see above)
MikeKy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #5

Sink draining slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKy55 View Post
You have been given great advice. I can tell you we have two sinks in our master and my wifes side clogs about every 18 months or so. She has long hair and it gets caught on the lever in the drain. That takes about 5 mins to clean out, but the cracked trap nut is another thing. (see above)
+1 --- Good catch MikeKy55.
Remove the pop up in the basin. Get a clothes hanger and bend about a half inch hook on one end. Use that to fish long hair out of the drain. Lots will probably come out. Save the clothes hanger for future use.

HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote