DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Sink Drain Stopper Won't Pop Up (

erclark 07-10-2009 05:32 AM

Sink Drain Stopper Won't Pop Up
I noticed just yesterday that the drain stopper in a fairly new bathroom sink (4 years old), had "fallen" down into the stopped position and could not be pushed back up as usual (by using the rod behind the faucet).

I pulled it up manually and found that it lifted the whole way out of the drain -- which it has not previously done. It had been locked into the drain. It now simply falls back down into the stopped position every time I place it back into the drain.

I've read the information at this short site, and studied the graphic of the drain stopper assembly. I think that I now understand the parts under the sink and how the drain stopper should work.

However, the site explains how to get your stopper to lock back down tightly if it won't go down. I have the opposite problem: mine won't go up. From the information and picture provided, I can't figure out what happened. Can someone help me figure out what I should look for or try?

Just like the assembly pictured, my drain has a long plastic form that extends down into the drain, and which has a plastic "hook" at its lowest point. What should the hook latch onto? Is there a way to reengage it, or does the fact that it came loose on its own mean that something snapped? :confused1:

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Just Bill 07-10-2009 06:04 AM

To keep costs down, the popups installed are the cheapy chineese junk with the rod made of steel. They rust off quickly and them the stopper no longer works. The socket that holds the rod are all different sizes, no standard there yet, so it is unlikely you will find an easy replacement. Replace the popup assy with a brass porduct.

erclark 07-10-2009 06:16 AM

So you do suspect that the rod snapped then. Is there a way to check/confirm this?

Is the replacement something I could do myself?

What would I need?


drtbk4ever 07-10-2009 11:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Have you taken the pivot nut off the back of the drain pipe under the sink yet? Maybe it just came unhooked from the stopper and will be an easy fix.

If it is toast like Just Bill suggested, you will quickly find out. It really is an easy thing to understand when you pull the pivot nut off and pull out the internals.

Just don't run water down the drain with the pivot nut removed.

Go check that and get back to us.

erclark 07-10-2009 01:16 PM

Bill, Thanks for the advice and the subtle encouragment that it would all be "an easy to thing to understand" once I pulled off the pivot nut. It was, indeed.

It appears that whatever should extend from the ball into the drain has rusted off and snapped. There is now just a rusty nub.

Any advice about how to proceed from here? Can I just buy a new rod (the one with the ball on the end)...? Or will I need to replace more than just that? Is it easy enough to do myself?

Thanks in advance for any help!

drtbk4ever 07-10-2009 01:57 PM

OK, big thumbs up on the diagnosis. It feels good to figure this out for yourself doesn't it.

Now comes the part that may be frustrating.

I would take the plunger, what is left of the rusty piece, the ball and even the pivot nut down to a local plumbing place or even one of the big box stores. See if you can get some replacement parts or have to replace the whole plunger and unit etc. If you don't have any success this may you may want to call a local plumber and ask where he would go to get parts.

If you can find the correct parts, reassembly is almost as easy as the disassembly. Just give it a try.

Remember to mark which hole you removed the bolt from if the set up is anything like the photo. That should eliminate one issue when reinstalling the parts.

Remember to tell other family member NOT to use that sink while you have it apart.

And let us know how it turns out.

erclark 07-10-2009 02:09 PM

Thanks, Bill! Armed with your advice, I'm going to attempt to find the parts and tackle this myself. I'll update you about my progress!

majakdragon 07-11-2009 07:31 AM

I really doubt that you will find "parts" at HD or Lowes. You will probably need to buy the drain tailpiece with the stopper connection in it. You "may" be able to just use those parts to replace what is broken on your sink without installing the tailpiece also. Ask for Pop-up Assemblies wherever you shop.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1