Sink Drain Smells - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Sink Drain Smells

When I run water in my bathroom sink, a smell of rotten eggs comes out of it the drain.

The sink is new, the p-trap is new, the piping to the stack is new, the main stack is new.

I don't get this smell from any other drain in the house, including my tub which drains into the same stack from right across the bathroom.

All of the piping is still accessible from the bedroom behind it, there is still basically no wall there, and it all looks fine, checked for leaks and everything.

Does anyone know what this smell can be and how to get rid of it?

Advertisement

Branden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Sink Drain Smells

Are you sure the smell is from the drain and not the water itself? Fill a cup with water from that sink and smell the water inside the cup and let us know. Take a look at this link:

http://www.uldrinkwell.com/drinkwell...egg_smell.html

Advertisement

The Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Engineer For This Useful Post:
Branden (06-03-2010)
Old 06-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #3

Sink Drain Smells

Engineer,

I will do that when I get home later on and get back to you. If that were the case though, wouldn't the water smell out of every sink, hose, and shower in the house? Also, I have used the suspect sink to fill up glasses of water before, with no smell that I remember. Trust me, it's definitely noticeable enough that if it were the water I would not be able to drink a glass w/out noticing.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Sink Drain Smells

How much work did you do to the water supply piping for this sink? Did you have to run new lines or were the old lines right there for you to connect into? If there is bacteria in the piping to just this sink, that would help explain why your only getting the smell from here. Also, the longer the water sits in the piping without flowing you'll get stronger oders after you turn the faucet on. If your turning the faucet off and on all day, the bacteria doesn't have enough time to build up the hydrogen sufide gas, so that could be why your getting the smell sometimes, but not all the time.
The Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

Sink Drain Smells

Might be a good call on the supply lines. I did a faucet replacement some time back and used new supply lines which were the white flexible ones with the cross-linked re-enforcement. I've used many of them but I got a call back on this one about an odor. It turned out to be the new supply lines. I keep supply lines in my work trailer but I went and bought two new ones, the same type, and they worked just fine. I wrote this one off to me keeping them maybe too long in the trailer. I have no idea if they deteriorate or what, but I'll just get new one's as I need them now. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thurman For This Useful Post:
Branden (06-03-2010)
Old 06-03-2010, 07:49 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,048

Sink Drain Smells

How long has it been since you installed the sink? Maybe there is some reaction among bacteria and hair and toothpaste residue and leftover manufacturing residues and greases and preservatives, and the odor should gradually go away as the latter materials wear off.
Branden (06-03-2010)
Old 06-03-2010, 02:26 PM   #7

Sink Drain Smells

Engineer:
I ran all new lines. I ran all the long runs in pex. The pex is then connected to new copper which is just inside the wall and the copper comes out of the wall. Everything is new. I did some smelling last night and it is definitely the drain, not the water.

Allan:
Installed the sink around September, so about 9 months ago. This smell has been around for some time. If it were me, I'd be able to ignore it, but the woman in the house doesn't like it too much. I think that she has tried a few things, like dumping vinegar down it and whatnot. Maybe I'll put some draino down there to eat up anything that might be in the trap causing the smell.

Thurman:
Nothing was sitting around for any length of time. I bought the material and installed it.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #8
Next Time...New Build

Sink Drain Smells

You mentioned that it ties to the same stack as the shower. Could be some serious junk between the two. Your drano solution could potentially solve it. Are you able to snake between the two?

The fact that you smell it when it is running takes away the water in the trap which usually blocks the smell with the water turned off.

I would check that.

GOod luck.....plumbing sucks.
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:41 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

Sink Drain Smells

Can you post a picture of your drain plumbing under the sink?

I am wondering, even though you used a P-trap, that you ended up essentially with an inadvertent S-trap because of a design flaw. It can happen.

And S-traps can allow sewer gas to enter under certain conditions...that's why no longer allowed in new construction.

Rod

Advertisement

RoyalAcresRod is offline   Reply With Quote