DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Sink drain leaking, question

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  danrb007 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I finally discovered that our laundry room sink is leaking at the drain.

We actually used a "bar" sink to for the deepest sink possible...in the color my wife approved of, of course :)

The sink drain is also a "bar" sink drain type.

Before I rip into the drain and ruin something I thought I would ask the proper way to dis-assemble the drain.

I plan to take the drain out, apply some plumbers putty and tighten up...everything else seems fine.

I tried to hand tighten the bottom of the drain, but the drain spins in the sink. I was turnig the lower, larger nit...do I need to get a wrench on the flatter nut just below the sink while keeping it from spinning with a screw driver inserted into the drain?

It's cast iron and expensive, so I thought I'd get some knowledge before I dove into it.

Thanks for any how-to's you can tell me. Since I didn't install the sink, I didn't see how the drain went together.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You are on the right track. I would use needle nose pliers and hold the top drain piece while taking the nut off the bottom. Then put plumbers putty on the flange on top and maybe replace the rubber gasket on the bottom. Tighten it and put it all back together. If it is spinning now it either wasn't tight enough to begin with or the gasket on the bottom has deteriorated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.