Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2009, 08:52 PM   #1
transmitterrecieverpntgun

Share |

simple caulking cleanup question

I just caulked the new tub surround (plastic 3 piece) and ofcourse, even with the tape it still got out of controle. What is the best way to clean it up and wipe away the little smears of caulk with out ruining/disturbing the caulked joints....

utilitylocator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:21 PM   #2

Probably with Dap Silicone-Be-Gone silicone remover, which you can find in the caulking aisle of your home center, or with paint thinner. You can buy plastic razor blades at Lee Valley. Just scrape as much as you can off with the plastic razor blade, and then remove the rest with Silicone-Be-Gone or paint thinner.

Also, some people in here are telling me that paint thinner or Silicone-Be-Gone might damage the finish on a plastic tub. In all the plastics I've ever used, I've never seen one that was damaged by paint thinner, but I'm telling people to use both products in an inconspicuous area first before using it on their tub.

Right now I'm waiting for my local plumbing wholesaler to break up a plastic tub (rather than return it to the factory) so I can get a piece of the same kind of acrylic plastic that tubs are made of to test bleach, paint thinner and silicone-be-gone on it.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
transmitterrecieverpntgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay View Post
Probably with Dap Silicone-Be-Gone silicone remover, which you can find in the caulking aisle of your home center, or with paint thinner. You can buy plastic razor blades at Lee Valley. Just scrape as much as you can off with the plastic razor blade, and then remove the rest with Silicone-Be-Gone or paint thinner.

Also, some people in here are telling me that paint thinner or Silicone-Be-Gone might damage the finish on a plastic tub. In all the plastics I've ever used, I've never seen one that was damaged by paint thinner, but I'm telling people to use both products in an inconspicuous area first before using it on their tub.

Right now I'm waiting for my local plumbing wholesaler to break up a plastic tub (rather than return it to the factory) so I can get a piece of the same kind of acrylic plastic that tubs are made of to test bleach, paint thinner and silicone-be-gone on it.
Thanks for the information. By the way, I bet if you go Craigslist you will find someone giving away a free tub. Even a plastic one...
utilitylocator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:36 PM   #4
Man of many hats

When I install acrylic/FG systems, we use an adhesion promoter (silicone primer that makes the silicone stick) but I am surprised that I can not find this product on the open market (i.e. the home stores). I know that some silicones boast that no primer is needed, but I have found that if it is not used on acrylic/FG, it can easily be pulled off the system. Maybe because it can cause damage if not used properly, but that can be said for many products.
One good rule of thumb, is 'less is more', meaning, that you can actually over-caulk. Do what is needed, but not so much that you are spreading the sealant over areas that need not be caulked.
HTH,
Brett
Old 02-11-2009, 11:13 AM   #5

For silicone removal on scratchable surfaces, I use plastic putty knives from Walmart. They can even be "sharpened". Then I use isopropyl alcohol to remove the rest of the residue. I cannot imagine paint thinner not removing the clearcoat finish.