Silcock Replacement / Piping Repair - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-22-2011, 12:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Silcock Replacement / Piping Repair

In an attempt to replace my leaking silcock (outdoor faucet), I tried to turn the whole assembly counter clockwise. However, I didn't realize the joint was soldered instead of screwed and so the pipe was damaged. Hence, I will need to replace the piping on the inside of the wall. I've attached a picture of the piping configuration from the inside of my garage. Since the piping is extremely close to the wall, I was thinking of soldering a brand new assembly (everything above the blue and red sheathing) on my workbench and then installing it using sharkbite fittings. Would you recommend using these fittings or should I really do my best to try and solder everything? Also, is it a requirement to have a dead end piece of pipe installed above the tee where it goes to the silcock in order to serve as a water hammer arrestor? Not a big deal, just curious as to whether its really necessary. I will definitely be installing a threaded nipple at the tee where it penetrates the wall so that if the silcock needs to be replaced in the future it can simply be unscrewed. Thanks.
Attached Images

Advertisement

GeauxCajuns82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Silcock Replacement / Piping Repair

You can use the Sharkbites, if you want. I would get a piece of sheet metal and use it for a flame guard and sweat the fitting(s) in. Some States require the pipe for use as a water hammer preventer. Florida did. It is easier to keep the plumbing up to code while working on it than to have to go back later (should you decide to sell) and do it then.

Advertisement