Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2011, 09:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Shutting of main- affect on boiler/water heater

Hey there,

I'm trying to replace some old galvanized piping that still remain in a house i bought. Most has been replaced already with copper or PVC, but some copper is still connected to galvanized lines and the union is corroding. The worst is a joint just before my water heater.

My question is, when i shut off my water main, are there any additional steps i need to take with my boiler and water heater to prevent any damage from the loss of water? The boiler has a refill tank so the lines dont need to be refilled manually. Thanks for any suggestions and tips

pisbouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:15 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

Shutting of main- affect on boiler/water heater

Can't help with the boiler but water heater inlets and outlets are usually on top so turning off the water supply will not drain the tank. But I would still turn the thermostat all the way down or just turn off the elec or gas while doing the work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisbouts View Post
Hey there,

I'm trying to replace some old galvanized piping that still remain in a house i bought. Most has been replaced already with copper or PVC, but some copper is still connected to galvanized lines and the union is corroding. The worst is a joint just before my water heater.

My question is, when i shut off my water main, are there any additional steps i need to take with my boiler and water heater to prevent any damage from the loss of water? The boiler has a refill tank so the lines dont need to be refilled manually. Thanks for any suggestions and tips

raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote