Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2011, 01:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Shut off valves under bathroom sink

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and ready to admit my complete idiocy when it comes to plumbing, and I've been looking through several posts, but haven't found any that completely apply to my problem, so I'm begging for help, here it goes:

• The hot water faucet on my bathroom sink (single faucet, two turning knobs, generic model, can't find any brand name, sorry) started dripping, being your average, starving college student, I decided to try to fix the issue myself, but stupidly decided to turn off/close the hot water shutoff valve under the sink (brand: Brass Craft, 2 oval-shaped knobs, I've been told the whole plumbing system in the house is around 12 years old) for the night, so as not to waste water, well, the faucet continued dripping, so I turned off/closed the cold water shutoff valve as well, that stopped the dripping, but then I found myself needing to turn the faucet on (I know, very dumb of me, my apologies) (again...), so I opened the shutoff valves, turned the faucet knobs and no water came out. I have hot and cold water running out of all the other faucets in the house perfectly fine, but the bathroom faucet is dry, I can't even hear or feel water coming through the pipes to the faucet anymore, also, the pipes are not leaking, so needless to say, I'm freaking out, I've never had this happen before, my question, finally,is: has anyone had this exact problem and if so, how did you fix it?
Thanks in advance, and sorry for staring with such a long, clueless post...

E.

PS_ I can't shut the main water supply off because that main valve is in my landlord's yard and he's out of town until next week.

EveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:14 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,348

EVE---You're stuck until he gets home----The old shut off broke in the closed position---Rotten luck.

Brass Craft valves are carried by Home depot---Suggest that he use the 1/4 turn ball valve--

The compression nut and brass ring can be reused---with two Crescent wrenches--remove the old valve--screw on the new---reattach the water line---quick job--two tools--

However the water must be off--He (or she) should have given you an emergency number--Oh,well.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:32 AM   #3
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hi and Welcome EveB, to the best darn DIY'r site on the web.

I am afraid that Mike has hit the solution and dilema right on the head.

Mark
Old 03-16-2011, 06:27 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,004

You said you shut off the cold and the hot right? Then turned them both on and no water came out right? It sounds to much of a coincidence that both valves broke at the same time. This is a long shot but try removing the aerator at the end of the faucet where the water comes out , I have seen these completely blocked. If that don't work get new valves.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:41 AM   #5
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,000

I agree - kind of coincidental that they both broke at the same time. Are you sure you opened both valves?

PS. It wasn't stupid to shut them off if you were wasting that much water, I'd have done the same thing as a band-aid before fixing/replacing the faucet.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:49 AM   #6

Thank you all so much! And Coldiron, your "long shot was right on the money: I removed and cleaned the aerator and presto: water!!!!

Thanks, Secutandu, Jack, and Mike, I will make sure to ask the landlord for a contact number, and a double-check on this place's entire plumbing system

Thank you again!

E.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,004

EveB Glad it helped it's always nice to hear back from the poster what the outcome was.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:28 PM   #8

Thank you. I was ready to flush myself down the toilet.