Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2011, 09:24 PM   #1

Share |

Shut off valve replacement

I've searched through the site looking for similar posts, but mine has a TWIST!!!!

We were in the process of replacing our sink, my girlfriend goes to shut off the water at the valve, and the handle/stem snaped off flush. So my first instinct was to go to shut off the water at main the line. After doing so, I turned off the remaining valve (did NOT break), and then turned the handle on so all the remaining water would drain from the line....

After about a minute the pressure got extremely low but there was still a steady stream coming out, I left for about 5 minutes and no change.

So if the main water shut off doesn't stop the water COMPLETELY, how exactly am I going to change out the broken valve that is under the sink?

All tips and tricks are greatly appreciated!!!!

Picture if available would do wonders too
bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #2

It could be water draining from upstairs, if there IS an upstairs...if it truly is the main shut off leaking thru, you'll have to turn the water off at the meter (around here they are outside in the yard).
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #3

you could try snugging down on main be careful not to break it....if not running to bad you could open lower faucets to see if that lets you repair the valve....you could see if you can compression valve under sink.....again if not running to bad loosen meter nut and let drain into bucket till you fix and hook back up....hope that helps....picture of broken valve would help...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #4

Yes the sink valve that broke is located on the bottom of our split entry. Should I flush the upstairs toilet twice and run all the sinks up stairs?
Old 12-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bates View Post
Yes the sink valve that broke is located on the bottom of our split entry. Should I flush the upstairs toilet twice and run all the sinks up stairs?
are there any faucets below the sink that broke....picture of valve would help...if there are lower faucets open them...
Old 12-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
are there any faucets below the sink that broke....picture of valve would help...if there are lower faucets open them...

Total downstairs (where valve broke), there is the shower, the sink, and the toilet. Upstairs there is the kitchen sink, bathroom sink, toilet, and shower.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:10 PM   #7

if you shut off main line yes open up faucets to see if you can repair valve or replace it.....again picture would help..
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
bates (12-03-2011)
Old 12-03-2011, 10:19 PM   #8

I'll get a picture of some time in the morning. The valve replacement will have to wait until then, seeing as all the shop are closed!

Thanks for all your help!