Shut-off Valve Is Not Opening - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2017, 08:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,088

shut-off valve is not opening

Hello to All,

Happy New Yr and thanks to all who contribute on these boards.

enclosed is a pic of a toilet shut-off valve. I turned off to replace the flapper, when I opened it up, the water barely tricked-in...did it break or do these break? it probably has not been turned off since 2006-2008.

the tank had some sediment in it, so I took a plastic trash can, filled it up w water and poured all into tank at one time tank was almost half full and I opened flapper...it cleaned out the whole tank [see second picture]. could this have clogged anything?

All of our water is city water that serves 4 million people

if you have any questions, pls let me know?

Thank you and pls advise, tstex
Attached Thumbnails
shut-off valve is not opening-cut-off-valve.jpg   shut-off valve is not opening-toilet-bowl-guts.jpg  

Advertisement

tstex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:24 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 5,582

Re: shut-off valve is not opening

They definitely get mineral deposits on them and you may have jarred one loose into the feed line.

See if the line is clogged.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:40 PM   #3
RRH

Rewards Points: 354

So the fill valve or shut off valve is the problem.

Turn off the main water and toilet shutoff valve.
Disconnect the hose and put end in a bucket. Then open valves and see what happens.

If you have water then it is the fill valve.
Replace or youtube how to clean a fluidmaster fill valve. Easy and cheap to just replace.

If no water the valve or hose is clogged. Take the hose off and first try running a wire inside the hose and valve.
Have that valve open but the main off.
RRH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2017, 06:13 AM   #4

Window's and RRH- thank you guys, you always come through...Once everyone leaves the house this am, I will perform the tests as you described.

The house was built in 2005 [we took over in Sept 2008], so no telling if that valve was ever turned...I will post back w results...thank you very much as always - tstex

Edited note: I have tons of Teflon-tape, but w the water off, do you guys think it would be a good idea to just replace the valve anyway? I noticed that when I first turned off the valve [CW] that something did not feel right, more so when I tried opening it [CCW]...it felt way too easy to move the handle w no resistance...i'm betting on a bad valve...crap from china is almost all plastic...guess it wouldn't hurt to have a couple spares anyway....

Last edited by tstex; 01-05-2017 at 06:23 AM.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:37 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,040

Those valves are notorious for premature failure. Buy and install a high quality quarter turn valve. They are awesome.
Attached Images

Last edited by Gymschu; 01-05-2017 at 07:39 AM.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:37 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,100

The Fluid Master valves can be disassembled in place and cleaned : that is if one squeezes and turns the top plastic cap just right, holds his mouth in a peculiar position, or was that his tongue out the right or left corner ?
I just can't recall all the details but I've done it, solved the problem and received 5 stars because it was the wife's toilet.
Attached Images

SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:14 AM   #7

Thanks Gym and Senior...I would assume whether the valve or not, a good flushing of the tank guts is in order anyway..also, I am definitely going w a better valve for sure...that plastic stuff is for the birds...I'll take the old one w me, probably replace the flex line too....tstex
Old 01-05-2017, 12:28 PM   #8

It's common for the globe style valves to last 30 years and usually fail due to operator ignorance.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:11 PM   #9

WT XXXX !!!

I went to the other upstairs bathroom and wanted to test the shut-off valve there too. Same set-up as the girls bathroom...

turned off the shut off valve; took-off the tank cover, flushed the toilet, and then opened the valve slowly...it TOO is barely trickling water into the tank. turned it off and back on again and no change...WTH is going on?

We have 4 toilets: 2 up [girls Hollywood & guest bathroom] & 2 downstairs [1/2 bath and master bath.

I have replaced the flappers on the 1/2 bath and the master bath toilets, and a couple of other things like cleaning out the fill-valve heads as you guides recommended, thus those valve shut-off valves have been opened and closed before. Do you think bc these valves have not been shut-off before, sediment or something is clogging them upon closing and then opening?

Going to the hardware dept this evening and picking up 2-3 1/4" turn shut off valves as recommended and 2-3 1ft flex lines...I'll replace in am after everyone is gone..

Any recommendations on anything else I should do, or NOT do?

thanks
Old 01-10-2017, 05:05 PM   #10

Hello to all,

Just got back home and onto forum - the problem is not in the shut-off valves, but in the fill-valve. I will have to pull apart the valve head and do the cleaning you guys referred to earlier...I cannot fathom what is in the lines that caused so much XXXX to clog the fill valves??

Is there any type of proactive things I could do to flush all of my lines prior to it going into my bathrooms, appliances, etc ?? Are there filtering systems or something that can be installed from right off the city line and before it goes into the house, or am I making more of this than is needed?

THanks, tstex
Old 01-10-2017, 05:56 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 522

Not much you can do other then clean you valve. As Senior says, its a process. You take the cap off and flush it out. Everytime I do one I have to look at the instructions provided by Fluidmaster:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...59ab28ee10.pdf
Look in the lower right corner of the instructions. Some caps pop right off, others are a pain.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:18 PM   #12
RRH

Rewards Points: 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstex View Post
Hello to all,

Just got back home and onto forum - the problem is not in the shut-off valves, but in the fill-valve. I will have to pull apart the valve head and do the cleaning you guys referred to earlier...I cannot fathom what is in the lines that caused so much XXXX to clog the fill valves??

Is there any type of proactive things I could do to flush all of my lines prior to it going into my bathrooms, appliances, etc ?? Are there filtering systems or something that can be installed from right off the city line and before it goes into the house, or am I making more of this than is needed?

THanks, tstex
They can clogg easy. Just had some sediment buildup that dislodged when the valve used. But still an easy fix with the fluidmasters. No average. They can go in 2 years or last 10.

Most don't do this. But if keeping the house. Another pretty cheap money saving upgrade I always recommend is a whole house water filter.
I like the American Plumber WC34-PRB for about $50.00. No need to spend more and the filters are $5 to $10 a piece that I only have to replace once a year at my house.

I say money saving because I see a lot of people buy $50.00 filters for their newer model refrigerators. And filters that go on the kitchen faucet.
These are no longer needed.
Another note is a lot of refrigerators you can't just remove the filter inside and still have the water ice maker work. But if you search on goggle you can find a water filter blank plate or dummy filter that you use instead that is made for your model.
RRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:31 PM   #13

"They can clogg easy. Just had some sediment buildup that dislodged when the valve used". This is exactly why I am posting here...both my cut-off valves froze

" Another pretty cheap money saving upgrade I always recommend is a whole house water filter.
I like the American Plumber WC34-PRB for about $50.00. No need to spend more and the filters are $5 to $10 a piece that I only have to replace once a year at my house."

Can I install one of these so they filter everything coming into the house? We have a separate irrigation line, so one on this would prob keep the heads from getting trashed out earlier.

Is there a specific make and model? THank you very much
Old 01-10-2017, 07:07 PM   #14

I have this whole house filter. I didn't care for their paper filters as they seemed to collapse and tear prematurely. I ordered a box of 24 or maybe that was 12 synthetic string filters on line at a cost of about 3 bucks each if I recall.

These filters are good for scale, sediment particles etc. but are not for mineral deposits as seen in my picture post. A water softener of some type would be required for that.
Attached Images

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 01-10-2017 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:04 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,082

Quote:
that is if one squeezes and turns the top plastic cap just right, holds his mouth in a peculiar position, or was that his tongue out the right or left corner ?
Quote:
Everytime I do one I have to look at the instructions provided by Fluidmaster:
I don't understand. Removing the cap of a Fluidmaster fill valve is really simple. The secret is that the lever must be in the up position. That is, like it is when the tank is full.

My way is to reach down under the float, lift it and grasp the shank. That way I can hold the shank and hold the float up at the same time. Then press down and twist the cap 1/4 turn counter clockwise.

However, tstex's valve does not look like a Fluidmaster. Never seen a Fluidmaster with a white cap. Removal would be similar.

Advertisement