Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #1

Share |

Shut off both valves, one won't stop dripping

My first plumbing attempt - and it should have been easy. We're replacing our entire small bathroom. I turned off the valves under the sink, removed the hoses, took out the vanity and sink. The left valve was very tough to turn - had to have my f-i-l do it. We fiddled around enough to get the right valve to stop oozing/dripping (I had turned it too far off), but I can't get the left one to stop. It's not a fast drip, it just takes an hour or so and it will finally get enough water on the tip to spill over. I want to make sure it's off completely for obvious reasons, especially before I install the new flooring. Any ideas? I've turned it clockwise as far as possible, and backed in off a little at a time, but I can't seem to find the magic position. I appreciate any help!

Katy H Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #2

It's common practice to just replace all the shut offs when doing a remodel. I also replace any supply lines that are not stainless steel flex lines.
If the walls are also coming dome then install galvinized caps not valves. If the valves on there no way to install new wall board.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #3

They're copper pipes; we did fully remove the top connectors that the hoses were hooked into, but the valves are beneath a large nut that seems to be welded. The wall behind the sink isn't coming down (just all the shower walls). I don't see a place below the valves to remove the valves themselves without cutting the pipe.
Katy H Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Post a picture. As stated, it is unfortunately very common for valves to leak, and in most cases it is not cost effective to try to repair them. Cheaper and faster to replace them. If you do not know how to replace a valve, post that, describe the size and type of pipe you have, and perhaps someone will walk you through the process. By the way, in order to replace a valve, you are going to have to shut the water off to the whole house, unless you have a second shutoff on your line.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #5

Post a picture. Some valves are solder on. If they area I would heat them enough to remove them, remove the old solder with sand paper, the valve can be replaced by soldering on a new one, installing one with a compression fitting, or a slip on one like a shark bit fitting.
Just make sure to shut off the main water coming in and relieve the water pressure by opening up the valve with a pan under it.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #6

Welcome to plumbing. I rarely turn off a shutoff without a spare on hand, unless it's a quarter turn.
One out of two did this? That's about the average rate of failure. Do yourself a favor and buy the quarter turn valves that will work for you more than once.

michaelcherr is offline   Reply With Quote