DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   Shower water proofing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/shower-water-proofing-178011/)

markharmon 04-24-2013 05:48 PM

Shower water proofing
 
Hello,

For waterproofing a shower wall I want to run this by you guys to see if I am correct. If the shower is on an outside wall I would put insulation behind the plumbing and a vapor barrier like 6mil poly in front of the plumbing. I plan on putting up half inch cement board and kerdi on top of that. Now, if I put up kerdi over the cement board would that be considering a double vapor barrier since I already have poly up?

oh'mike 04-24-2013 09:09 PM

Yep--the plastic is not needed with a waterproofed board--like Kerdi ---

ben's plumbing 04-24-2013 09:11 PM

if you can avoid faucet on outside wall....do it ...we never install faucets on outside walls....unless there is no other way..ben sr

markharmon 04-24-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben's plumbing (Post 1166565)
if you can avoid faucet on outside wall....do it ...we never install faucets on outside walls....unless there is no other way..ben sr

Am I correct with my description though? Would adding the kerdi on top of the cement board be a double vapor barrier?

oh'mike 04-25-2013 05:24 AM

Yes, that is a double vapor barrier----

ben's plumbing 04-25-2013 06:58 AM

mike already answered that question....ben sr

markharmon 04-25-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 1166760)
Yes, that is a double vapor barrier----

what do you think would be better? The poly over the studs or the kerdi over the cement board?

markharmon 04-25-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben's plumbing (Post 1166785)
mike already answered that question....ben sr

Hey Ben,

Is it normal to see stack vents in a normal house or just the vent stack which is part of the waste stack? Reason I ask is because if you have a 2 story home you dont want to be vet venting fixtures that are on the first floor so you would have to re-vent the first floor fixtures up and over the 2nd floor. Other choice would be separate stack vent for those first floor fixtures, right? Do you ever see more than one Waste/Vent stack in a house when fixtures are just too far apart?

markharmon 04-26-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 1166760)
Yes, that is a double vapor barrier----

what do you think would be better? The poly over the studs or the kerdi over the cement board?

oh'mike 04-26-2013 11:01 PM

I always waterproof the surface of the board---Hydroban by Latacrete is my choice---

If the walls are completely waterproof---there is no way for the inside of the walls to get wet---

Many use the Schluter products----But I prefer the paint on----but both are great---

markharmon 04-27-2013 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 1168051)
I always waterproof the surface of the board---Hydroban by Latacrete is my choice---

If the walls are completely waterproof---there is no way for the inside of the walls to get wet---

Many use the Schluter products----But I prefer the paint on----but both are great---

So, the kerdi acts as a vapor barrier just like the poly sheeting so moisture doesn't enter the framing and condense and cause issues?

oh'mike 04-27-2013 07:10 AM

Yes----the Kerdi is your vapor barrier---If the wall is insulated--use unfaced or slash slits into the facing----

wkearney99 04-27-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markharmon (Post 1166875)
Do you ever see more than one Waste/Vent stack in a house when fixtures are just too far apart?

Yes. It could be a waste of plumbing materials and labor to try and put everything into one vent. That and there are formulas associated with distances and number of fittings. As in, the more you pull through the pipes, or the more you turn them, the greater the size of the pipe is that's needed. At certain points it doesn't make sense to trying to combine too many things.

markharmon 04-27-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkearney99 (Post 1168212)
Yes. It could be a waste of plumbing materials and labor to try and put everything into one vent. That and there are formulas associated with distances and number of fittings. As in, the more you pull through the pipes, or the more you turn them, the greater the size of the pipe is that's needed. At certain points it doesn't make sense to trying to combine too many things.

I know a trap needs to be within 5 feet of a vent. When you wet vent fixtures the drain that is serving as the vent of another fixture has to be one size larger, right? When you have a multi story house or building they usually a stack vent which is completely dry and can terminate through the roof or meet up at the main vent stack, right?

wkearney99 04-27-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markharmon (Post 1168264)
I know a trap needs to be within 5 feet of a vent. When you wet vent fixtures the drain that is serving as the vent of another fixture has to be one size larger, right? When you have a multi story house or building they usually a stack vent which is completely dry and can terminate through the roof or meet up at the main vent stack, right?

But the better question is what configuration is it you want to set up, and why?

Theories are great, and important to understand, but not without proper context.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 AM.