Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2010, 09:53 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Shower valve installation

My contractor has installed the new shower valve in our new tiled shower. It sticks out beyond the front of the studs as I know part of it should, but to install the cement board over/around the valve and the connections, and flush onto the studs, it would have to be knotched out in the back of the cement board to contact the studs (it is hitting the plumbing and fittings that also protrude slightly). Something isn't right, I know. Am I correct in assuming that the valve must not be installed correctly, and that if it was, the cement board should simply be cut out around the valve, and fit neatly over the plumbing and screw flush to the entire stud? My prime will be here shortly, so I want to know what I'm talking about. Thank you for any incite.

sydni2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:21 PM   #2

Thankfully I have not had to mess with a shower valve for a while, but, as a result, I can't get a clear picture in my head. It seems to me that at least some of the valves come with a mud plate (???) that the wall board finishes against, and then the escutcheon covers everything. In other words, it may very well be correct, and regardless, you're okay, as long as you verify it before anyone gets much farther along. If the plumber can't be clear, the box with the instructions must be around there someplace, and if not that, go to the manufacturer's website, and look at the instructions. It should be esay enough to verify at that point.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:14 PM   #3

I did discuss with my contractor. He said what they were going to do is satisfactory, but he did relocate the valve to satisfy my concerns. He changed from a 2x to a 1x to give the extra space to recess the valve and fitting behind the cement board instead of within the cement board. Thanks for the reply.
sydni2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydni2009 View Post
I did discuss with my contractor. He said what they were going to do is satisfactory, but he did relocate the valve to satisfy my concerns. He changed from a 2x to a 1x to give the extra space to recess the valve and fitting behind the cement board instead of within the cement board. Thanks for the reply.
I think you should check some more, your valve should have a plaster guard with it which gives the FINISHED wall line, if the valve has been changed to be behind the cement board it may be TOO FAR IN!
braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to braindead For This Useful Post:
sydni2009 (09-22-2010)