Shower Valve Assembly/Locking Nut - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Shower Valve Assembly/Locking Nut

We discovered a slight leak from the connector/locking nut at our shower valve. It seems the leak was because of a slight crack in the connector/locking nut piece. This was installed by the previous homeowner about 12 years ago, so we think it has been slowly leaking since then.

Our plumber took a look at it and said that the shower valve assembly is one by Newport Brass, but it has been discontinued. So, he said our only option now is to replace the whole shower valve assembly. Is this right? It seems a little odd that we can't just get a new connector/locking nut piece, but he said those are specific to the shower valve assembly and can't just be replaced with another one. Any advice?

If we do have to replace the shower valve assembly, he said that we need to get an Altmans OW22. I haven't had any luck with finding that piece, so if any one knows how to go about finding it, I'd appreciate tips on that too.

Thanks!

Advertisement

rookie49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 702

Need to first go back and add your location to your profile, hard to suggest what brand to buy when you could be from anyplace on the planet.
There's no picture or exact model so hard to know if there's still parts avalible.
Just from your decription it's hard to even know what part it is your talking about.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
jagans (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

I just looked up Newport Brass. Wow those are expensive fixtures. Something that high end should have parts. Why don't you show us a picture. Maybe a part can be turned for you.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,634

No idea what a connector/locking nut piece is. Is it on the water inlet or the valve stem?
I just googled altmans and its an 8" spread valve- Is that correct? There are several brands available. Must be his preference.
At any rate- if it's cracked and not made any more then a replacement valve is probably your next choice.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #5

Thank you all for your replies.

All I have been able to find about the Altman's OW22 are the installation instructions here: http://128.121.62.199/products/insta...alve2valve.pdf

It is an 8" spread, but according to my plumber, this is the only one that will fit the trim.

The piece that is broken on ours is called the connector and lock nut in the Altman's instructions (pieces 2 and 3 on page 4). I'll try to post a picture of the one we have later today.

What I don't understand is why that piece is unique to the shower valve, and if it is for some reason, why Newport Brass doesn't sell just that piece. And yes, Newport Brass is expensive! I'm lucky the previous homeowner installed those fixtures!

Maybe it would be a possibility to have that piece made. Just having that piece replaced would save me a lot of money on the labor to have a whole new valve installed. And, unfortunately, I don't think I have the skills to do it myself.

Thanks, again.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 702

Why make a part for a fixture you can not get parts for?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #7

Because it would be a lot less expensive than replacing the whole assembly. Why should I spend a ton of money on having it replaced when it's not broken?
Old 01-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
Plumber

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie49 View Post
Because it would be a lot less expensive than replacing the whole assembly. Why should I spend a ton of money on having it replaced when it's not broken?
There is no way having a custom part machined up will be cheaper than replacing that valve.
Your plumber is giving you bad advise.
Any 2 handle 8" valve will fit in there and most of them come with trim.
DidIDoThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,634

I call that a union. The mating surfaces are unique to the manufacturer. Having one made that will seal will be tough. Now, if just the nut is damaged- you might find a replacement with the proper thread count and interior diameter, etc. good luck
Old 01-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #10

Well, that explains it! I wish the manufacturers didn't do that. I suppose I do have to have the whole valve replaced then because it is the union that is cracked and not the nut. And I'm stuck with the expensive ones because if I replace the trim, I'd have to replace everything that matches in the bathroom, which would be even more expensive.

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #11
Roofmaster

Post a picture of the broken parts. I have a metal Lathe, and maybe I can turn a new piece for you. If its brass, someone should be able to braze it or sweat it for you.

You may also want to take a look as Brass unions, because that is what you are showing looks like. A Ball end, and a lock nut.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #12
Roofmaster

Go Here:

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp...w=1225&bih=587

Advertisement