DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Shower Valve Assembly/Locking Nut (

rookie49 01-09-2013 12:08 PM

Shower Valve Assembly/Locking Nut
We discovered a slight leak from the connector/locking nut at our shower valve. It seems the leak was because of a slight crack in the connector/locking nut piece. This was installed by the previous homeowner about 12 years ago, so we think it has been slowly leaking since then.

Our plumber took a look at it and said that the shower valve assembly is one by Newport Brass, but it has been discontinued. So, he said our only option now is to replace the whole shower valve assembly. Is this right? It seems a little odd that we can't just get a new connector/locking nut piece, but he said those are specific to the shower valve assembly and can't just be replaced with another one. Any advice?

If we do have to replace the shower valve assembly, he said that we need to get an Altmans OW22. I haven't had any luck with finding that piece, so if any one knows how to go about finding it, I'd appreciate tips on that too.


joecaption 01-09-2013 05:58 PM

Need to first go back and add your location to your profile, hard to suggest what brand to buy when you could be from anyplace on the planet.
There's no picture or exact model so hard to know if there's still parts avalible.
Just from your decription it's hard to even know what part it is your talking about.

jagans 01-09-2013 06:17 PM

I just looked up Newport Brass. Wow those are expensive fixtures. Something that high end should have parts. Why don't you show us a picture. Maybe a part can be turned for you.

TheEplumber 01-09-2013 07:08 PM

199 Attachment(s)
No idea what a connector/locking nut piece is. Is it on the water inlet or the valve stem?
I just googled altmans and its an 8" spread valve- Is that correct? There are several brands available. Must be his preference.
At any rate- if it's cracked and not made any more then a replacement valve is probably your next choice.

rookie49 01-10-2013 10:21 AM

Thank you all for your replies.

All I have been able to find about the Altman's OW22 are the installation instructions here:

It is an 8" spread, but according to my plumber, this is the only one that will fit the trim.

The piece that is broken on ours is called the connector and lock nut in the Altman's instructions (pieces 2 and 3 on page 4). I'll try to post a picture of the one we have later today.

What I don't understand is why that piece is unique to the shower valve, and if it is for some reason, why Newport Brass doesn't sell just that piece. And yes, Newport Brass is expensive! I'm lucky the previous homeowner installed those fixtures!

Maybe it would be a possibility to have that piece made. Just having that piece replaced would save me a lot of money on the labor to have a whole new valve installed. And, unfortunately, I don't think I have the skills to do it myself.

Thanks, again.

joecaption 01-10-2013 10:23 AM

Why make a part for a fixture you can not get parts for?

rookie49 01-10-2013 10:33 AM

Because it would be a lot less expensive than replacing the whole assembly. Why should I spend a ton of money on having it replaced when it's not broken?

DidIDoThat 01-10-2013 10:39 AM


Originally Posted by rookie49 (Post 1090399)
Because it would be a lot less expensive than replacing the whole assembly. Why should I spend a ton of money on having it replaced when it's not broken?

There is no way having a custom part machined up will be cheaper than replacing that valve.
Your plumber is giving you bad advise.
Any 2 handle 8" valve will fit in there and most of them come with trim.

TheEplumber 01-10-2013 10:41 AM

199 Attachment(s)
I call that a union. The mating surfaces are unique to the manufacturer. Having one made that will seal will be tough. Now, if just the nut is damaged- you might find a replacement with the proper thread count and interior diameter, etc. good luck

rookie49 01-10-2013 10:52 AM

Well, that explains it! I wish the manufacturers didn't do that. I suppose I do have to have the whole valve replaced then because it is the union that is cracked and not the nut. And I'm stuck with the expensive ones because if I replace the trim, I'd have to replace everything that matches in the bathroom, which would be even more expensive.


jagans 01-10-2013 11:09 AM

Post a picture of the broken parts. I have a metal Lathe, and maybe I can turn a new piece for you. If its brass, someone should be able to braze it or sweat it for you.

You may also want to take a look as Brass unions, because that is what you are showing looks like. A Ball end, and a lock nut.

jagans 01-10-2013 11:14 AM

Go Here:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1