Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2008, 06:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Shower & Tub Temperature

A couple of months ago I installed a new Price Pfister shower head, single handle, valve and, and tub spout as part of a large bathroom remodel. Before installing the Durock and ceramic tile I had a hard time getting the shower/tub to dispense hot water.

1.) With the hot water shut off there was maximum flow through the valve.
2.)With the cold water shut off, there was at best a trickle of water through the valve.
3.) With both hot and cold shutoffs fully open the temperature only gets up to 99.8 deg.

I also removed the valve to check and see that water was making it up to the valve from both sides. It was....plenty of hot and cold water make it up to the valve.

After having the manufacturer send me two additional valves I came to the conclusion that 99.8 deg water was going to have to suffice.
I completed the Durock and the tilework and have been using the shower for 3 months. Well...fall is here and it sure would be nice to have a hot shower as opposed to a warm one.

All of the sinks as well as the basement shower are capable of dispensing hot water that will not register on our thermometer.

I realize that the valve probably has a bi-metal anti-scald device in it to restrict the hot water but it seems like it's restricting the hot water too much and being that I've had three valves from the manufacturer I'm doubting that its a manufacturing defect. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! What is an acceptable temperature for a shower or tub? Thank you in advance for your help!

brneilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Shower & Tub Temperature

Are you sure you can't adjust the hot water limiter up any farther?

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:55 PM   #3
Man of many hats

Rewards Points: 268

Shower & Tub Temperature

I'm thinking Jerry is on the right track as well. Have you re-read the install literature to see if you can increase the hot temp limit on the valve? I know that on Delta valves there is a plastic limiter on the 'hot-cold' portion of the handle that allows the installer to limit the maximum amount of hot water that can mix with the cold. It is usually set to not exceed 120 degrees, but I have had customers request hotter temps. I would imagine that your valve should have some way to adjust it as well. Some valves also have screws on the valve that limit the hot or cold (actually used to shut off the supply to allow for cartridge change without shutting off the main water). Check your instructions, and if they are no longer with you, see if you can look it up on-line.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:15 AM   #4

Shower & Tub Temperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler View Post
I'm thinking Jerry is on the right track as well. Have you re-read the install literature to see if you can increase the hot temp limit on the valve? I know that on Delta valves there is a plastic limiter on the 'hot-cold' portion of the handle that allows the installer to limit the maximum amount of hot water that can mix with the cold. It is usually set to not exceed 120 degrees, but I have had customers request hotter temps. I would imagine that your valve should have some way to adjust it as well. Some valves also have screws on the valve that limit the hot or cold (actually used to shut off the supply to allow for cartridge change without shutting off the main water). Check your instructions, and if they are no longer with you, see if you can look it up on-line.
I have a newer Delta in my bathroom now. It does have the little plastic limiter on it. If it was up to my wife, the water would be hot enough to melt the acrylic tub. I think I have it set somewhere between 115-120.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:12 AM   #5

Shower & Tub Temperature

Normally, the setting device for the anti-scald is inside the handle. Once the handle is removed, you should see a movable lever that can be moved right or left to set the amount of hot water flowing to the spout or showerhead.