Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #1

Share |

Shower/tub pull thingy not worky

I really wish I had the capacity to explain my problem coherently, but I don't think I do. In our downstairs bathroom, we have a tub with tub surround and old/cheap faucet, knobs and a center pull knob to switch between shower and tub mode. Whatever that thing is called, (diverter?) it doesn't seem to be working any more. The shower will only receive about half of the water while the other half still pours out of the tub faucet. I also noticed that when I push it back in, it doesn't shut the partial flow of water off to the shower head, until I turn the knobs off. Any input on how to rectify this would be great. My first inclination is to turn the water off, remove the doohickey and take it to the plumbing store. Thanks in advance and my apologies if that was hard to understand.

rubberhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #2

There's at least 3 differant types of tub spouts so it's hard to give exact details on what to do.
Most often remove the old one and replace.
Most just screw on.
Some have a set screw on the bottom of the spout that needs ot be loosed before unscrewing.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #3

Do you have access to the tub faucet from the other side of the wall from the tub. That would enable you to replace the faucet if it comes to that. My first suggestion is to post some pictures of the offending faucet/diverter assembly. There are folks on here who could tell you if a complete replacement is necessary, or just some vital parts inside.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies guys. I actually figured out what it was. I pulled the diverter out and determined that It is a Waltec faucet and is clearly missing an O-ring. I found the same diverter at Home Depot but am hoping that I can just replace the O ring, as the rest of the unit seems to be corrosion free and moves freely.

Thanks again, I couldn't find anything on google because I wasn't sure what I was looking for.
rubberhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #5

I did a quick google and came up with an O ring replacement p/n, I think, and it's 10-1407. Hopefully it's the right one.

Here's the link, http://www.plumbss.com/faucetRep.php?m=waltec&h=2076
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote